FOCUS ON

LIBYA

Click here to sign up for free weekly email

Email recaps are sent every Thursdays.
Sign up today

Libya: Haftar troops unable to capture Tripoli, more violence aheadF
Libya: Haftar troops unable to capture Tripoli, more violence aheadF

Al-Swani, Libya, June 3, 2019 - As meat sizzled on a barbeque in a Tripoli suburb, Libyan fighters defending the capital from a military offensive rested during "the calm before the storm" on the front lines. "We don't deprive ourselves of anything," said a fighter...

Rescues of migrants in the Mediterranean Sea continueF
Rescues of migrants in the Mediterranean Sea continueF

The Italian navy rescued 100 migrants stranded in the Mediterranean on Thursday, as 178 others were taken to the Italian island of Lampedusa, and Malta, officials said. Meanwhile, 149 migrants from East Africa, including 65 minors and 13 babies under one, were...

Libya: UN evacuates vulnerable migrants from war-torn TripoliF
Libya: UN evacuates vulnerable migrants from war-torn TripoliF

Rome, May 30, 2019 - Nearly 150 migrants from East Africa, including 65 minors and 13 babies under one, were rescued from conflict-torn Libya and airlifted to Rome on Thursday by the UN refugee agency. "Due to the violent clashes and deteriorating security conditions...

Libya’s power sector: collateral damage of the civil warF
Libya’s power sector: collateral damage of the civil warF

Tripoli, May 31, 2019 | By Nawas Al-Darraji: Precariously perched 50 metres up an electricity pylon providing power to Libya's capital, Mohamad Dahman attempts to fix damage caused by fighting -- but hastily descends when a rocket explodes nearby. "We're used to...

Libya hands over suspected Islamic State insurgent to EgyptF
Libya hands over suspected Islamic State insurgent to EgyptF

Cairo, May 29, 2019 - One of the most-wanted Egyptian militants who was captured in neighbouring Libya last year has been transferred to Egypt, state media reported on Wednesday. Libyan strongman Khalifa Hafter handed over Hisham el-Ashmawy after meeting with Egypt's...

Libya: Two journalists releasedF

Tripoli, May 25, 2019 (AFP) - Two Libyan journalists held by an armed group for more than three weeks have been released, the television channel they work for said Saturday. "We congratulate the press world for the release of our two colleagues, Mohamad al-Gurj and...

Libya: Tripoli braces for a long war, Haftar wants no negotiationsF
Libya: Tripoli braces for a long war, Haftar wants no negotiationsF

May 26, 2019 - Libyan strongman Khalifa Haftar, who is leading a military offensive against the UN-recognised government in Tripoli, said in an interview published Sunday he will continue fighting until militias in the city laid down their arms. Haftar had justified...

Libya: Building of lawmakers opposing warlord Haftar hit by rocketF
Libya: Building of lawmakers opposing warlord Haftar hit by rocketF

Tripoli, May 24, 2019  - A hotel complex in the Libyan capital serving as a base for lawmakers opposed to strongman Khalifa Haftar was hit by rocket fire Friday, witnesses said. The internationally recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) blamed the attack at...

Libya: Four kidnapped foreign workers in Libya releasedF
Libya: Four kidnapped foreign workers in Libya releasedF

May 17, 2019 - Three Filipino civil engineers and a South Korean colleague kidnapped in Libya last July have been released and flown to the United Arab Emirates, the UAE foreign ministry said Friday. It said the engineers held by unidentified armed groups were freed...

Libya: How Tripoli residents cope with Haftar’s incessant attacksF
Libya: How Tripoli residents cope with Haftar’s incessant attacksF

Tripoli, May 16, 2019 (By Rim Taher) - Peering through the gate of a home in the western suburbs of Libya's war-torn capital, seven-year-old Chehab shyly looked on as children streamed down the nearby street. "I'll just play by myself," he muttered, holding a ball...

Libya: Haftar follows Sarraj’s path, visits European leadersF
Libya: Haftar follows Sarraj’s path, visits European leadersF

Rome, May 16, 2019 - Libyan strongman Khalifa Haftar, who has launched a military offensive against the UN-recognised government in Tripoli, held surprise talks with Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte in Rome on Thursday ahead of a visit to Paris next week,...

Libya: Migrants in distress rescued off Libyan coastF
Libya: Migrants in distress rescued off Libyan coastF

May 15, 2019 - German charity Sea-Watch reported rescuing 65 migrants in distress off Libya on Wednesday, sparking an immediate warning from Rome to stay away from Italian waters. The Dutch-flagged Sea-Watch 3 had found the migrants, including 11 women, two babies, 13...

Libya: More weapons flowing into LibyaF
Libya: More weapons flowing into LibyaF

May 13, 2019  - UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has told the Security Council he is deeply concerned by the battle for Tripoli and reports of fresh weapons supplies flowing into Libya, according to a report seen by AFP on Monday. Guterres reported to the council...

Connect

You can find us on a few social media platforms. Feel free to connect with us there.