Nigeria’s Woro massacre in early February 2026 was a large‑scale attack on two mainly Muslim farming communities that left Muslim and Christian civilians dead, including adults and children, community leaders, and people living on the economic margins. Local leaders...
MEA RISK’s SHIELD & ALERT notifications: Access requires installing Shield & Alert mobile application. More info on S&A here or click here to signup and install
Nigeria Adjusts Airstrike Strategy Under Expanded U.S. Security Cooperation
Nigeria is adjusting how it conducts air operations against armed groups as part of an updated security arrangement with the United States. Under the new framework, Nigerian fighter aircraft will increasingly rely on U.S. reconnaissance and intelligence-gathering...
Nigeria: Questions Mount Over U.S. Airstrikes in Northern Nigeria
By Leslie Varenne, MondAfrique: The American strikes carried out in Nigeria on Christmas Day raise serious questions. Beyond the confusion surrounding the objectives of the operation, inconsistencies in official statements, and the unclear nature of the targets, the...
U.S. Immigration Policy and the Changing Landscape of Africa-U.S. Travel
As the United States prepares to implement a new round of immigration and visa policy changes in 2026, the effects are being felt across Africa and parts of the Middle East. What began as a technical overhaul of screening and enforcement procedures has evolved into a...
Nigerian president Tinubu under pressure to avoid war with northern neighbor Niger
By Camille Malpat with Aminu Abubakar in Kano, Nigeria: Political leaders in Nigeria are urging President Bola Tinubu to reconsider a threatened military intervention against junta leaders in neighbouring Niger, ahead of a Sunday deadline to reinstate the country's...
Nigeria grapples with end of fuel subsidy
By Alexandre Martins Lopes: Nigerians are struggling with surging fuel prices after newly elected President Bola Tinubu declared an end to popular subsidies, a move analysts and experts said was long overdue. On his first day in office, Tinubu kept to his campaign...
Nigeria: Curfew in and around city of Orlu amid explosive violence
Posted On 26 January 2021
Authorities have declared a curfew in and around a city in southeastern Nigeria after clashes erupted between the army and a local militia, killing at least one person, officials and witnesses said Tuesday. The governor of Imo state, Hope Uzodinma, said a curfew had been imposed in the city of Orlu and nine surrounding districts on Monday after “militants…unleashed a shooting spree… killing an innocent citizen.” “As an interim measure to immediately restore the peace in Orlu zone, a dusk-to-dawn curfew (6pm to 6am) is hereby imposed,” he said in a statement. The region has long been a hotbed for separatist groups, and tensions between the federal security forces and the indigenous Igbo population have been high.
Videos and pictures on social media appeared to show soldiers shooting in the streets of Orlu, but the images could not be immediately verified independently. Local residents also reported several people were killed and wounded but those reports were not immediately confirmed by officials or police.
The reason behind the clashes was unclear, but one Orlu resident told AFP the army retaliated after a soldier was allegedly killed by militia members. “The incident started on Sunday when security operatives clashed with some youths and militia members following the reported killing of a soldier,” said resident Felix Chiazor. “Angered by the incident, the soldiers returned to Orlu and met stiff resistance, leading to sporadic gunshots in the area and burning down of houses and shops.”
The militia involved is the Eastern Security Network, which is backed by the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) — a political movement that seeks a separate state for the Igbo people of southeast Nigeria. Human rights bodies have long accused Nigerian security forces of killing IPOB members, claims that they have denied. Police spokesman Orlando Ikeokwu confirmed on Tuesday that “clashes” erupted in Orlu but would not provide further details.
“Normalcy is returning (to the area),” the police officer said, adding that officials would comment later on unconfirmed reports of people injured and killed during the clashes. A traditional chief from Orlu, Ernest Adimiaka, told AFP that four people including a middle-aged woman had died in the clashes. “We are yet to confirm the identity of those killed but we saw their lifeless bodies on the street. This is aside the scores of people that sustained various forms of injuries,” Adimiaka said.
Calls for a separate state of Biafra are a sensitive subject in Nigeria, after a unilateral declaration of independence from British rule in 1967 sparked a brutal 30-month civil war. More than one million people died, most of them Igbos, from conflict, hunger and disease. The recently-formed militia is “scattered all over the southeast,” said Don Okereke, an independent security analyst who specialises in the region. “Its members are training like military, it’s worrying,” said Okereke. “Some radical elements believe that if they are not armed, the military can take over at any time.”
AFP
Recent News from Nigeria
Nigeria: More than 160 people killed in Muslim communities in Kwara State
More than 160 people were killed in predominantly Muslim farming communities in Kwara State, Nigeria, after villagers reportedly refused to accept an extremist group’s strict religious rule.
Nigeria Adjusts Airstrike Strategy Under Expanded U.S. Security Cooperation
Nigeria is modifying how it conducts air operations against armed groups under a revised security arrangement with the United States. The new framework places greater emphasis on U.S. intelligence and reconnaissance support while shifting operational responsibility to Nigerian forces. The approach reflects Abuja’s effort to balance external assistance with domestic control amid ongoing security challenges in the country’s northwest.
Nigeria: Questions Mount Over U.S. Airstrikes in Northern Nigeria
The U.S. airstrikes carried out in northern Nigeria on Christmas Day have triggered confusion and skepticism across the region. Conflicting statements from Washington and Abuja, uncertainty over the identity of the targeted groups, and reports from strike locations where no militants were found have raised serious questions about the operation’s objectives. In an already fragile security environment, the lack of clarity risks adding instability rather than addressing Nigeria’s complex security challenges.