Maghreb Edition

Tunisia: Italian garbage still piled up in Tunisia, owners unwilling to remove itF

Posted On 26 March 2021

Number of times this article was read : 428

Italy and Tunisia were pressed on Thursday to clear hundreds of containers of waste illegally shipped and stored at a port
in the North African county. In the summer of 2020, Tunisian customs officials seized 282 containers that had been shipped from Italy and declared as carrying plastic scrap for industrial recycling. But the containers were found to comprise a mix of household waste which is barred from import under Tunisian law.

Authorities in Rome had given the Italian firm that sold the refuse, Sviluppo Risorse Ambientali SRL, 90 days to retrieve the cargo from December 9, but the deadline passed without it doing so, said Jabbeur Ghnimi, a spokesman for a court in the Mediterranean port city of Sousse. Tunisian conservation groups criticised the inaction. “Tunisian and Italian authorities are showing no determination whatsoever for the return of this waste. Their laxity is inadmissible,” said Hamdi Chebaane of Tunisia Verte.

Chebaane, who is also a waste management expert, said a protest is due to be held Sunday outside the port of Sousse. The waste scandal saw the sacking in December of former Tunisian environment minister Mustapha Aroui and the arrest of people, including customs officials.

In total 26 suspects, including Aroui, are facing prosecution, according to Ghnimi, including the manager of the Tunisian import firm who is at large. Tunisia accuses the Italian company of failing to meet the deadline to remove the containers from Sousse. “Tunisian authorities are deploying huge diplomatic efforts to find an amicable solution as soon as possible… but it is the Italian company that is slacking,” said Ali Abbes who is handling the case for Tunisia.

The case shines a spotlight on the global trade in waste, which has grown despite stricter regulations aimed at preventing rich countries from dumping their hazardous refuse on poorer countries. The global waste trade has been growing as more highly industrialised and urbanised countries get rid of their garbage in developing countries. Interpol warned in August 2020 that criminal organisations have profited from an “overwhelming” surge in illegal waste shipments, particularly to Asia but also other parts of the world.  The garbage often ends up in countries that are ill-equipped to cope with it and endure heavy pollution when waste is burned and dumped in landfills instead of being recycled. Tunisia does not have the proper infrastructure to treat the waste.

AFP
The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Morocco Detains Civic Activist Amid Online Speech ConcernsF

Moroccan authorities have detained Mohammed Khalif,a Casablanca-based member of the youth movement GenZ212, following a home search and seizure of his computer. Charges have not yet been publicly disclosed. His arrest comes days after another GenZ212 member was prosecuted over alleged online incitement, raising questions about the legal climate surrounding youth activism and digital expression in Morocco.

Tunisia: Arrest of Opposition Figure Olfa Hamdi Raises ConcernsF

A Tunisian civil liberties organization has called for transparency and the release of opposition party leader Olfa Hamdi following reports of her detention. With no formal statement issued by authorities several days after the alleged arrest, rights advocates say the silence raises concerns about due process and the state of political freedoms in Tunisia.

Morocco’s Deficit Widens in Trade With TurkeyF

Trade between Turkey and Morocco has accelerated sharply, surpassing $5 billion in recent exchanges and strengthening Ankara’s position in the Moroccan market. While the expansion reflects deeper economic integration, Moroccan policymakers are seeking investment-based solutions to address a widening trade imbalance and position the country as a regional production hub ahead of the 2030 World Cup.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.