Maghreb Edition

Egypt: Cargo ship briefly grounded in Egypt’s Suez CanalF

Posted On 25 May 2023

Number of times this article was read : 1648

A cargo ship ran aground Thursday in Egypt’s Suez Canal before it was quickly refloated without interrupting traffic, the authority in charge of the vital waterway said. The Hong Kong-flagged Xin Hai Tong 23 bulk carrier was refloated after “a sudden malfunction of the machinery” while it was crossing on its way from Saudi Arabia to Egypt, the Suez Canal Authority said. The authority, which oversees the  waterway that accounts for about 10 percent of global maritime trade, said three tugboats and a marine rescue team were sent to refloat the vessel. It added that the Xin Hai Tong 23 measures 190 metres (208 yards) in length and 32 metres in width, with a loading capacity of 34,000 tonnes. Norwegian maritime website Leth said the vessel had been refloated shortly after it ran aground.

In March 2021 the giant container ship Ever Given caused a nearly week-long backlog in Suez traffic after it became lodged diagonally in the waterway. The disruption cost billions of dollars in shipping delays as it halted crucial trade through the canal, with Egypt losing between $12 million and $15 million for every day of the closure. The canal is a major source of much-needed foreign currency for cash-strapped Egypt, earning it $8 billion in transit fees in 2022.

AFP
The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Trump Sends Controversial Envoy to South Africa at a Diplomatic Low PointF

Leo Brent Bozell III has arrived in Pretoria as the new U.S. ambassador to South Africa, stepping into one of the most strained periods in bilateral relations in recent years. His appointment, amid disputes over Israel, Afrikaner rights allegations, and diplomatic expulsions, reflects a politically charged moment that could redefine the trajectory of U.S.–South Africa ties.

Algeria and Niger Relaunch Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline After Diplomatic FreezeF

Algeria and Niger have ended months of strained relations and announced the operational launch of the Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline, a 4,000-kilometer project linking Nigerian gas fields to European markets through Niger and Algeria. The move signals both a diplomatic reset and a renewed push to position North Africa as a strategic energy corridor.

Morocco Detains Civic Activist Amid Online Speech ConcernsF

Moroccan authorities have detained Mohammed Khalif,a Casablanca-based member of the youth movement GenZ212, following a home search and seizure of his computer. Charges have not yet been publicly disclosed. His arrest comes days after another GenZ212 member was prosecuted over alleged online incitement, raising questions about the legal climate surrounding youth activism and digital expression in Morocco.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.