Sahel Edition

Bourkina Faso: 50 insurgents killed in Loroum as they tried to ambush food convoyF

Posted On 1 June 2023

Number of times this article was read : 1023

Two civilians and at least 50 “terrorists” were killed in jihadist-hit northern Burkina Faso when a food convoy being escorted by troops was ambushed, the armed forces said on Thursday. The incident happened on Wednesday near Tibou in Loroum province bordering Mali, when the convoy of trucks came under attack by around 100 armed men, it said.

Two military units that had been escorting the convoy counter-attacked, “neutralising at least 50” assailants, it said in a statement. Two civilians who were on the convoy were also killed. The military’s account could not be independently verified.

The landlocked Sahel state is struggling with a seven-year-old jihadist insurgency that began in neighbouring Mali. More than 10,000 civilians and military have died, according to NGO estimates, while more than two million people have fled their homes. Around 40 people were killed at the weekend in two attacks near Bourasso.

Burkina has been ruled since 2022 by a junta led by Captain Ibrahim Traore, who has vowed to recapture the 40 percent of the country’s territory that remains outside the government’s control. He has also promised a return to democracy with presidential elections by July 2024.

On Tuesday Prime Minister Apollinaire Kyelem de Tambela told parliament that the authorities would “never negotiate (with the jihadists), either over Burkina Faso’s territorial integrity or its sovereignty.” “The only negotiations that matter with these armed bandits are those taking place on the battlefield,” he said. But de Tambela suggested that attacks could see the electoral timeframe pushed back. “We cannot organise elections without security. If you have a magic wand to ensure we can hold elections as soon as possible, we’d do it,” he said.

AFP

More on the Sahel

Sudan’s Army Gains Ground in Kordofan as War Strains Power and Food Systems$

Sudan’s army is gaining ground in North Kordofan, securing key transport routes that could support a broader push west toward Darfur. But battlefield advances are unfolding alongside a deepening national crisis, with power grid failures, disrupted agriculture and local conflicts compounding the country’s instability. But this latest military momentum is unlikely to resolve Sudan’s widening humanitarian and infrastructure challenges.

Sahel: Niger Emerges as Key Battleground as JNIM and Islamic State Collide$

A defection, a blood feud, and overlapping territorial ambitions are pushing JNIM and the Islamic State Sahel Province into direct competition across western Niger. The outcome around the region of Dosso could determine whether Sahelian jihadist violence stays fragmented — or consolidates into a wider regional arc.

The Nigeria Precedent: Why Degrading One Group Won’t Secure Mali$

The Nigeria Precedent: Why Degrading One Group Won’t Secure Mali$

Seven months into an air campaign against ISWAP and Boko Haram, Nigeria’s broader insecurity crisis remains largely untouched. As Washington weighs a similar strike option against JNIM in Mali, the Nigeria case raises hard questions about what airpower can actually buy.