Maghreb Edition

Egypt: Executions by hanging continue this weekF

Posted On 20 February 2019

Number of times this article was read : 323

Cairo, Feb 20, 2019 – Egypt hanged nine men on Wednesday for the 2015 assassination of the prosecutor general, judicial sources said, bringing to 15 the number of executions it has carried out this month. Hisham Barakat was killed in June 2015 when a car bomb struck his convoy in Cairo following jihadist calls for attacks on the judiciary to avenge a crackdown on Islamists. The nine men hanged on Wednesday were among 28 people sentenced to death in 2017 for involvement in his murder. Their death sentences were upheld in November by the Court of Cassation, which commuted the sentences of six others to life imprisonment. The sentences of the other defendants were not considered because they had been sentenced in absentia.

The hangings came despite an 11th-hour plea by human rights group Amnesty International on Tuesday for a stay of execution. Amnesty International condemned the executions. “Executing men who were convicted in trials marred by torture allegations is not justice but a testament to the magnitude of injustice in the country,” said Najia Bounaim, Amnesty’s North Africa campaigns director. “Egyptian authorities must urgently halt this bloody execution spree which has seen them repeatedly putting people to death after grossly unfair trials in recent weeks.” Last week, Egypt hanged three people convicted of the 2013 murder of senior police officer Nabil Farag. The previous week, it hanged three young “political detainees” convicted of the September 2013 murder of the son of a judge, Human Rights Watch reported.

No one claimed the 2015 attack against Barakat but authorities pointed the finger at members of the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood of ousted president Mohamed Morsi. Since Morsi’s overthrow by then army chief and now President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi in 2013, Egypt has struggled to quell a jihadist insurgency and cracked down on Islamists who backed him. Hundreds of Morsi supporters have been sentenced to death, while the former president and top Brotherhood figures have also faced trial. The Muslim Brotherhood was outlawed and branded a terrorist organisation in December 2013, just months after Morsi’s ouster. Many of the death sentences have been handed down at mass trials involving hundreds of defendants and lasting just days.

By AFP

The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Trump Sends Controversial Envoy to South Africa at a Diplomatic Low Point

Leo Brent Bozell III has arrived in Pretoria as the new U.S. ambassador to South Africa, stepping into one of the most strained periods in bilateral relations in recent years. His appointment, amid disputes over Israel, Afrikaner rights allegations, and diplomatic expulsions, reflects a politically charged moment that could redefine the trajectory of U.S.–South Africa ties.

Morocco Detains Civic Activist Amid Online Speech Concerns

Moroccan authorities have detained Mohammed Khalif,a Casablanca-based member of the youth movement GenZ212, following a home search and seizure of his computer. Charges have not yet been publicly disclosed. His arrest comes days after another GenZ212 member was prosecuted over alleged online incitement, raising questions about the legal climate surrounding youth activism and digital expression in Morocco.

Tunisia: Arrest of Opposition Figure Olfa Hamdi Raises Concerns

A Tunisian civil liberties organization has called for transparency and the release of opposition party leader Olfa Hamdi following reports of her detention. With no formal statement issued by authorities several days after the alleged arrest, rights advocates say the silence raises concerns about due process and the state of political freedoms in Tunisia.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.