Maghreb Edition

Morocco: Journalist Bouachrine sentenced to 12 years in prison over bogus chargesF

Posted On 27 February 2019

Number of times this article was read : 489

Rabat, Feb 26, 2019 – Amnesty International urged Morocco on Tuesday to “immediately” free a newspaper publisher sentenced to 12 years in prison on charges of rape and other offences, after a trial his lawyers say was politically motivated. “We believe that (Taoufik) Bouachrine’s imprisonment is a matter of freedom of expression,” the head of Amnesty’s Morocco branch, Mohamed Sektaoui, said at a press conference in Rabat. “He is paying a high price for his right to peacefully express critical opinions.”

Bouachrine was sentenced in November after being found guilty of human trafficking, abuse of power for sexual purposes, rape and attempted rape.  The publisher, whose Arabic language newspaper Akhbar Al-Yaum has a history of run-ins with the authorities, has maintained his innocence throughout. The 49-year-old was arrested last February at the offices of his independent daily, known for editorials and cartoons critical of the authorities. The charges against him were based on complaints, testimonies and about 50 videos seized from his office, purporting to show him in a variety of sexual acts. Bouachrine’s defence team said the videos were faked and in any case showed “consensual relations”.  During the course of the trial, four women cited by the prosecution as “victims” denied involvement. One was sentenced to six months in prison for accusing the police of falsifying her statement, while others refused to appear in court.  In the end, eight of the 15 plaintiffs originally named by the prosecution were recognised as victims and compensated, according to their lawyers.

A United Nations Human Rights Council working group reported in January that Bouachrine was the victim of “arbitrary detention” and “judicial harassment”. It also cited a lack of evidence and alleged witness intimidation. Moroccan authorities firmly deny the accusations. Amnesty’s Sektaoui, presenting the group’s annual report on human rights in the Middle East and North Africa, backed the UN’s findings and said the journalist “must be released immediately”.

Last week, Morocco’s Justice Minister Mohamed Aujjar said he was “astonished” at the experts’ opinion, saying they had ignored the complaints of Bouachrine’s victims. Bouachrine and cartoonist Khaled Gueddar were each given four-year suspended prison sentences and ordered to pay heavy fines after publishing sketches in 2009 that satirised the monarchy. A date has not yet been announced for Bouachrine’s appeal.

By AFP

The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Trump Sends Controversial Envoy to South Africa at a Diplomatic Low PointF

Leo Brent Bozell III has arrived in Pretoria as the new U.S. ambassador to South Africa, stepping into one of the most strained periods in bilateral relations in recent years. His appointment, amid disputes over Israel, Afrikaner rights allegations, and diplomatic expulsions, reflects a politically charged moment that could redefine the trajectory of U.S.–South Africa ties.

Morocco Detains Civic Activist Amid Online Speech ConcernsF

Moroccan authorities have detained Mohammed Khalif,a Casablanca-based member of the youth movement GenZ212, following a home search and seizure of his computer. Charges have not yet been publicly disclosed. His arrest comes days after another GenZ212 member was prosecuted over alleged online incitement, raising questions about the legal climate surrounding youth activism and digital expression in Morocco.

Tunisia: Arrest of Opposition Figure Olfa Hamdi Raises ConcernsF

A Tunisian civil liberties organization has called for transparency and the release of opposition party leader Olfa Hamdi following reports of her detention. With no formal statement issued by authorities several days after the alleged arrest, rights advocates say the silence raises concerns about due process and the state of political freedoms in Tunisia.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.