Maghreb Edition

Morocco: Swiss national sentenced to prison for terrorismF

Posted On 12 April 2019

Number of times this article was read : 251

Rabat, April 12, 2019  – A Moroccan court has sentenced a Swiss citizen arrested in connection with the murder of two Scandinavian hikers to 10 years in prison on terrorism charges, his lawyer said Friday. Kahlil Idriss said the man, identified only as Nicolas P., 33, was convicted Thursday in the city of Sale, near Rabat, in a case unrelated to the double murder. 

A dual Swiss-Spanish citizen was among more than 20 people arrested after Danish student Louisa Vesterager Jespersen, 24, and 28-year-old Norwegian Maren Ueland were found beheaded on December 17 in the High Atlas mountains south of Marrakesh.

Nicolas P. was arrested in January for having had contact with the Swiss-Spanish national as well as compatriots with ties to Syria, Idriss said. He was found guilty of “forming a terrorist group”. The lawyer said he has filed an appeal on the basis that his client had signed a police report in Arabic without having read it. The accused told the court he had been paid by Switzerland’s secret services for making contact with Swiss terror suspects. Moroccan authorities allege the four main suspects in the hikers’ murders were sympathisers of the Islamic State group but not in direct contact with IS members in Iraq or Syria.

By AFP

The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Trump Sends Controversial Envoy to South Africa at a Diplomatic Low PointF

Leo Brent Bozell III has arrived in Pretoria as the new U.S. ambassador to South Africa, stepping into one of the most strained periods in bilateral relations in recent years. His appointment, amid disputes over Israel, Afrikaner rights allegations, and diplomatic expulsions, reflects a politically charged moment that could redefine the trajectory of U.S.–South Africa ties.

Morocco Detains Civic Activist Amid Online Speech ConcernsF

Moroccan authorities have detained Mohammed Khalif,a Casablanca-based member of the youth movement GenZ212, following a home search and seizure of his computer. Charges have not yet been publicly disclosed. His arrest comes days after another GenZ212 member was prosecuted over alleged online incitement, raising questions about the legal climate surrounding youth activism and digital expression in Morocco.

Tunisia: Arrest of Opposition Figure Olfa Hamdi Raises ConcernsF

A Tunisian civil liberties organization has called for transparency and the release of opposition party leader Olfa Hamdi following reports of her detention. With no formal statement issued by authorities several days after the alleged arrest, rights advocates say the silence raises concerns about due process and the state of political freedoms in Tunisia.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.