Maghreb Edition

Sahel: Political stakeholders in Mali agree on how to forme new government, but tough road aheadF

Posted On 2 May 2019

Number of times this article was read : 339
Opinion by Arezki Daoud:  As there seems to be a consensus among the stakeholders of the Malian political establishment in Bamako on the formation of a government, the terrible situation in the center and the north of the country will require more than a simple consensus of politicians in the south over a cabinet. War and social-economic despaire, are only magnified by a severely degraded environment and the deep ethnic divisions pitting the Malian people against one another.  Bamako will certainly need a unified and strong government, but that’s just the first step of many more to come.
—————————
Bamako, May 2, 2019 (AFP) – Mali’s new Prime Minister Boubou Cisse signed an accord with opposition and majority parties in Bamako Thursday that paved the way for the formation of a new government.  Cisse’s predecessor Soumeylou Boubeye Maiga resigned on April 18 with his entire cabinet following the massacre of some 160 members of the Fulani herding community on March 23 in the village of Ogossagou near Mali’s border with Burkina Faso.   “Given that the opposition and the majority have indicated their readiness for a politically-inclusive government”, they agreed to “the formation of a new government,” according to a copy of the document, seen by AFP.   It was signed by majority parties and some in opposition.
 
“Our country is in crisis,” Seydou Diakite, a member of the opposition PSP party, told AFP after the signing ceremony.   “All its sons must get together and decide to work together on a sound basis, which is why we signed.”   The document was also inked by a former rebel group, but not by the URD opposition party of Soumaila Cisse, a presidential candidate in 2018 who lost in the second round of elections. He claimed fraud.
Mali’s president named economy and finance minister Boubou Cisse as prime minister last month, charged with forming a broad government to stem bloodshed in the country.   This came after tens of thousands of people took to the streets of Bamako on April 5 to protest against an upsurge of inter-communal violence that has claimed some 600 lives. They accused the government of not doing enough to stop it.  On Thursday, the UN’s MINUSMA mission said the Ogossagou massacre had been “planned, organised and coordinated” and could constitute a “crime against humanity.”
By AFP
The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Trump Sends Controversial Envoy to South Africa at a Diplomatic Low Point

Leo Brent Bozell III has arrived in Pretoria as the new U.S. ambassador to South Africa, stepping into one of the most strained periods in bilateral relations in recent years. His appointment, amid disputes over Israel, Afrikaner rights allegations, and diplomatic expulsions, reflects a politically charged moment that could redefine the trajectory of U.S.–South Africa ties.

Algeria and Niger Relaunch Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline After Diplomatic Freeze

Algeria and Niger have ended months of strained relations and announced the operational launch of the Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline, a 4,000-kilometer project linking Nigerian gas fields to European markets through Niger and Algeria. The move signals both a diplomatic reset and a renewed push to position North Africa as a strategic energy corridor.

Morocco Detains Civic Activist Amid Online Speech Concerns

Moroccan authorities have detained Mohammed Khalif,a Casablanca-based member of the youth movement GenZ212, following a home search and seizure of his computer. Charges have not yet been publicly disclosed. His arrest comes days after another GenZ212 member was prosecuted over alleged online incitement, raising questions about the legal climate surrounding youth activism and digital expression in Morocco.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.