Maghreb Edition

Tunisia: PM Chahed focuses on presidential election campaigningF

Posted On 23 August 2019

Number of times this article was read : 381

Tunis, Aug 22, 2019 – Tunisian Prime Minister Youssef Chahed on Thursday said he was delegating his powers in order to devote himself to the September presidential election which he hopes to win. “I have decided to delegate the powers of the head of government to the public services minister until the end of the election campaign,” Chahed said on state television. He said he took that decision in order “to avoid any conflict of interest” as he campaigns for the country’s top job between September 2 and 13.

Originally scheduled for November, the presidential polls in the North African country have been brought forward to September 15 following the death of incumbent Beji Caid Essebsi last month. Chahed was among nearly 100 presidential hopefuls who had thrown their hats into the ring to become Tunisia’s next president. The country’s electoral commission has so far validated only 26 names, and is due to publish a final list by the end of this month. Chahed, 43, the country’s youngest prime minister, faces possible competition from Abdelfattah Mourou of the Islamist-inspired Ennahdha party as well as from controversial media magnate Nabil Karoui.

By AFP

Subscribe to Urgent Notifications and Newsletter

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Algeria-France Trade Drops 23% with Import and Energy Curbs$

Trade between Algeria and France fell by roughly 23% in the year ending June 2026, dropping below €9 billion as import controls and political tensions reshape the relationship. Algeria’s tighter oversight of foreign purchases has sharply reduced French exports—particularly in food, automotive equipment, and industrial goods—while energy-driven exports to France also declined. The figures point to a broader shift as Algeria diversifies suppliers and reduces reliance on its former primary trading partner.

Morocco Faces Balancing Test Over Potential Gaza Security Role$

A reported plan for a Moroccan military outpost in Gaza is raising questions about Rabat’s regional strategy. While participation in a multinational stabilization force could be framed as humanitarian and security support, a visible troop presence inside an Israeli-controlled area risks political backlash at home and abroad. The proposal highlights the tension between Morocco’s ties to Israel and its longstanding positioning as a supporter of Palestinian interests.

Sudan’s Army Gains Ground in Kordofan as War Strains Power and Food Systems$

Sudan’s army is gaining ground in North Kordofan, securing key transport routes that could support a broader push west toward Darfur. But battlefield advances are unfolding alongside a deepening national crisis, with power grid failures, disrupted agriculture and local conflicts compounding the country’s instability. But this latest military momentum is unlikely to resolve Sudan’s widening humanitarian and infrastructure challenges.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.