Maghreb Edition

Egypt: Online warfare rages as pro and anti-Sisi clans fight with same intensityF

Posted On 26 September 2019

Number of times this article was read : 399

Cairo, Sept 26, 2019 (By Mona Salem) – Rival hashtags, angry videos and calls to march — the war for Egyptian minds is raging online ahead of possible mass demonstrations against President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi. Encouraged by rare protests that erupted last week in Cairo and other Egyptian cities, Sisi opponents have bombarded social media platforms with fiery content under the Arabic-language hashtags #Sisiyouarefinished and #Sisileave.  But they’ve faced fervent counter-attacks from the president’s backers, using #longliveSisi and #theywantchaos.

The internet is the only space in Egypt were the authorities have not yet silenced critics, and in the past week, sites like Twitter and Facebook have morphed into battlefields. Activists have taken inspiration from a series of viral videos posted on Facebook by Egyptian entrepreneur and actor Mohamed Aly, accusing Sisi and the military of corruption. His videos, filmed from his exile in Spain and shared millions of times, sparked shock rallies last Friday where protesters clashed with police and called for Sisi’s ouster.

Some demonstrated in Cairo’s iconic Tahrir Square, the epicentre of the 2011 revolution that toppled dictator Hosni Mubarak. In his latest video, Aly called for a “million-man march” on Friday, labelling the protests “a people’s revolution”.

– ‘No leader’ –

MEA Risk's Shield and Alert Mobile App

MEA Risk’s Shield and Alert Mobile App

“The call for peaceful demonstrations on Friday is not a call for destruction, devastation and chaos, but a call for hope,” Egyptian scientist Essam Heggy, who works in the US with space agency NASA, wrote Thursday on Twitter. But pro-Sisi politician Mustafa Bakry slammed online opposition activists as “traitors”, blaming the unrest on the Muslim Brotherhood — outlawed as a “terrorist organisation” since 2013 but long one of the country’s most organised political forces. “The Egyptian people will not be the instrument for your return to power,” he tweeted.

Mohamed Morsi, a senior Muslim Brotherhood member, became Egypt’s first civilian, democratically elected president in 2012. But the following year, the military — led by Sisi — ousted him following mass protests against his divisive rule. Social media networks played a central role in Egypt’s 2011 uprising, but Sisi has tightened internet controls since being elected president in May 2014.

Shortly after Friday’s rallies, the popular Facebook Messenger app and news sites were hit by disruptions. The 2011 uprising was partly triggered by a Facebook page created in solidarity with a young Egyptian tortured to death by police officers in 2010. Political science professor Mustafa Kamel al-Sayed said that the protests
“this time have no leader, they’re spontaneous”. But disgruntled businessman Aly’s railings against Sisi’s alleged graft from exile in Spain have created a focal point for protesters.

– Fierce campaign –

Pro-government media have launched a fierce campaign against both Aly and the Muslim Brotherhood. Foreign channels considered close to the Brotherhood, like Qatar’s Al Jazeera broadcaster, have also been targets. On Saudi-run channel MBC Egypt, boisterous pro-Sisi host Amr Adib has slammed Aly and aired footage of him allegedly in a drunken stupor. Egyptian celebrities and key Sisi backers have also chimed in on social media, posting videos and photos showing their support for the president. They include famous belly dancer Fifi Abdou, who posted an Instagram clip criticising those she said want to create “chaos” in Egypt.

On Youtube, a video emerged of Egyptian singer Sherine Abdel-Wahab at a concert in Saudi Arabia, where her husband joins her on stage to express their backing for Sisi and the Egyptian army. In March, the pop-star was temporarily suspended from Egypt’s musicians union after joking about the lack of free speech in the country.
Last year, she was sentenced to six months in prison but acquitted on appeal after suggesting drinking from the Nile River leads to illness. Egyptian authorities have arrested more than 1,500 people since Friday’s protests, according to rights groups. The broadening crackdown has also seen prominent critics detained including lawyers, human rights defenders and journalists.

By AFP

The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Trump Sends Controversial Envoy to South Africa at a Diplomatic Low Point

Leo Brent Bozell III has arrived in Pretoria as the new U.S. ambassador to South Africa, stepping into one of the most strained periods in bilateral relations in recent years. His appointment, amid disputes over Israel, Afrikaner rights allegations, and diplomatic expulsions, reflects a politically charged moment that could redefine the trajectory of U.S.–South Africa ties.

Algeria and Niger Relaunch Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline After Diplomatic Freeze

Algeria and Niger have ended months of strained relations and announced the operational launch of the Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline, a 4,000-kilometer project linking Nigerian gas fields to European markets through Niger and Algeria. The move signals both a diplomatic reset and a renewed push to position North Africa as a strategic energy corridor.

Morocco Detains Civic Activist Amid Online Speech Concerns

Moroccan authorities have detained Mohammed Khalif,a Casablanca-based member of the youth movement GenZ212, following a home search and seizure of his computer. Charges have not yet been publicly disclosed. His arrest comes days after another GenZ212 member was prosecuted over alleged online incitement, raising questions about the legal climate surrounding youth activism and digital expression in Morocco.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.