Maghreb Edition

Morocco: First coronavirus death in CasablancaF

Posted On 10 March 2020

Number of times this article was read : 489

Rabat, March 10, 2020 – Morocco’s health ministry said Tuesday the country had recorded its first death linked to the new coronavirus, an 89-year-old woman who suffered from chronic health problems. The woman, a Moroccan citizen who had been living in Italy, “suffered from chronic illnesses affecting the respiratory and cardiovascular system”, the
ministry said in a statement.  She returned to Morocco in late February, before testing positive for the virus and being transferred under medical supervision to a hospital in
Casablanca, according to the statement.

Two other infections have been confirmed in the kingdom — a Moroccan man who came home from Italy and a French tourist who arrived in Marrakesh on Saturday. Both are under medical supervision.

Moroccan authorities have imposed restrictions on sporting and cultural events, including closing stadia to the public. Local media outlets have reported that the vital tourism sector is being hit by cancellations of travel bookings. Several people have been arrested by authorities in recent days for allegedly spreading misinformation on coronavirus on social networks.

By AFP
The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Morocco Detains Civic Activist Amid Online Speech ConcernsF

Moroccan authorities have detained Mohammed Khalif,a Casablanca-based member of the youth movement GenZ212, following a home search and seizure of his computer. Charges have not yet been publicly disclosed. His arrest comes days after another GenZ212 member was prosecuted over alleged online incitement, raising questions about the legal climate surrounding youth activism and digital expression in Morocco.

Tunisia: Arrest of Opposition Figure Olfa Hamdi Raises ConcernsF

A Tunisian civil liberties organization has called for transparency and the release of opposition party leader Olfa Hamdi following reports of her detention. With no formal statement issued by authorities several days after the alleged arrest, rights advocates say the silence raises concerns about due process and the state of political freedoms in Tunisia.

Morocco’s Deficit Widens in Trade With TurkeyF

Trade between Turkey and Morocco has accelerated sharply, surpassing $5 billion in recent exchanges and strengthening Ankara’s position in the Moroccan market. While the expansion reflects deeper economic integration, Moroccan policymakers are seeking investment-based solutions to address a widening trade imbalance and position the country as a regional production hub ahead of the 2030 World Cup.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.