Maghreb Edition

Libya: Night-time curfew in Libya to thwart Covirus-19F

Posted On 21 March 2020

Number of times this article was read : 487

Tripoli, March 21, 2020 – Libya’s UN-recognised government declared a night-time curfew and closure of public spaces starting Sunday to keep the novel coronavirus out of areas it controls, while fighting continued south of the capital. The Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA) announced a curfew lasting from 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. (1600-0400 GMT) in a statement on Saturday. It also ordered the closure of restaurants, cafes and party halls, while banning funerals and weddings.

Libya is largely divided between forces loyal to the GNA and those of military commander Khalifa Haftar, who backs a rival administration in the country’s east. Pro-Haftar forces had on Thursday imposed their own night-time curfew in areas under their control.

After closing schools last week, the GNA said on Monday it was closing land borders and halting flights in the west to keep out the virus. To date, no cases of the COVID-19 disease have been reported by either
administration, but experts fear an outbreak could be catastrophic due to the country’s degraded health system.
Libya has been mired in chaos since the 2011 overthrow of longtime dictator Moamer Kadhafi.

The security and humanitarian situation in the country has deteriorated since Haftar launched an offensive to seize the capital in April last year. The fighting has left more than 1,000 people dead and around 150,000 displaced. A fragile truce entered into force on January 12, but both sides accuse the other of violations as regular clashes continue.

Five women were killed on Wednesday and five other civilians wounded in strikes attributed to pro-Haftar forces by the GNA and the UN. Haftar’s forces on Saturday “welcomed” calls for a new ceasefire made by the UN and several countries on Tuesday, saying they “continue to respect the truce”. The GNA had responded positively to these calls on Thursday, but said it reserved “the right to respond to daily assaults targeting civilians and public facilities”. On Saturday, sporadic bombardments could still be heard from the centre of the capital.

By AFP
The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Trump Sends Controversial Envoy to South Africa at a Diplomatic Low PointF

Leo Brent Bozell III has arrived in Pretoria as the new U.S. ambassador to South Africa, stepping into one of the most strained periods in bilateral relations in recent years. His appointment, amid disputes over Israel, Afrikaner rights allegations, and diplomatic expulsions, reflects a politically charged moment that could redefine the trajectory of U.S.–South Africa ties.

Morocco Detains Civic Activist Amid Online Speech ConcernsF

Moroccan authorities have detained Mohammed Khalif,a Casablanca-based member of the youth movement GenZ212, following a home search and seizure of his computer. Charges have not yet been publicly disclosed. His arrest comes days after another GenZ212 member was prosecuted over alleged online incitement, raising questions about the legal climate surrounding youth activism and digital expression in Morocco.

Tunisia: Arrest of Opposition Figure Olfa Hamdi Raises ConcernsF

A Tunisian civil liberties organization has called for transparency and the release of opposition party leader Olfa Hamdi following reports of her detention. With no formal statement issued by authorities several days after the alleged arrest, rights advocates say the silence raises concerns about due process and the state of political freedoms in Tunisia.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.