Nigeria’s Woro massacre in early February 2026 was a large‑scale attack on two mainly Muslim farming communities that left Muslim and Christian civilians dead, including adults and children, community leaders, and people living on the economic margins. Local leaders...
MEA RISK’s SHIELD & ALERT notifications: Access requires installing Shield & Alert mobile application. More info on S&A here or click here to signup and install
Nigeria Adjusts Airstrike Strategy Under Expanded U.S. Security Cooperation
Nigeria is adjusting how it conducts air operations against armed groups as part of an updated security arrangement with the United States. Under the new framework, Nigerian fighter aircraft will increasingly rely on U.S. reconnaissance and intelligence-gathering...
Nigeria: Questions Mount Over U.S. Airstrikes in Northern Nigeria
By Leslie Varenne, MondAfrique: The American strikes carried out in Nigeria on Christmas Day raise serious questions. Beyond the confusion surrounding the objectives of the operation, inconsistencies in official statements, and the unclear nature of the targets, the...
U.S. Immigration Policy and the Changing Landscape of Africa-U.S. Travel
As the United States prepares to implement a new round of immigration and visa policy changes in 2026, the effects are being felt across Africa and parts of the Middle East. What began as a technical overhaul of screening and enforcement procedures has evolved into a...
Nigerian president Tinubu under pressure to avoid war with northern neighbor Niger
By Camille Malpat with Aminu Abubakar in Kano, Nigeria: Political leaders in Nigeria are urging President Bola Tinubu to reconsider a threatened military intervention against junta leaders in neighbouring Niger, ahead of a Sunday deadline to reinstate the country's...
Nigeria grapples with end of fuel subsidy
By Alexandre Martins Lopes: Nigerians are struggling with surging fuel prices after newly elected President Bola Tinubu declared an end to popular subsidies, a move analysts and experts said was long overdue. On his first day in office, Tinubu kept to his campaign...
Covid-19 wrecking havoc in Kano state
Posted On 9 June 2020
Lagos, June 9, 2020 – Nigerian authorities have linked the deaths of up to 600 people in the country’s second largest city to coronavirus after probing a surge in fatalities there. Health Minister Osagie Ehanire said 979 people died in April in the northern trading hub in April. A near-quadrupling of the mortality rate prompted the government to dispatch medical investigators to interview relatives and doctors over the causes of the “mystery deaths”. “With regard to unexplained deaths in Kano which occurred in April, the team confirmed from graveyard records that a total of 979 deaths were recorded,” Ehanire said at a briefing on Monday, adding that most fatalities were above the age of 65.
“With circumstantial evidence as all to go by, investigation suggests that between 50-60% of the deaths may have been triggered by or (were) due to COVID-19, in the face of pre-existing ailments.” Ehanire said the surge in deaths had subsided by the beginning of May and the “rate had reduced to the 11 deaths per day it used to be”. Medical investigators had already put the bulk of the unexplained deaths down to coronavirus but had not previously given detailed figures.
Teams have also been probing reported dramatic increases in death rates from April and May in some regions neighbouring Kano. Kano was put under lockdown in April to stem the spread of the virus and restrictions were eased last week. Overall Nigeria’s official nationwide death toll from the virus remained at 61 on Tuesday and 49 for Kano state as officials counted only those who had tested positive for the disease. Africa’s most populous nation has recorded a total of 12,801 infections and has tested just under 80,000 samples.
AFP
Recent News from Nigeria
Nigeria: More than 160 people killed in Muslim communities in Kwara State
More than 160 people were killed in predominantly Muslim farming communities in Kwara State, Nigeria, after villagers reportedly refused to accept an extremist group’s strict religious rule.
Nigeria Adjusts Airstrike Strategy Under Expanded U.S. Security Cooperation
Nigeria is modifying how it conducts air operations against armed groups under a revised security arrangement with the United States. The new framework places greater emphasis on U.S. intelligence and reconnaissance support while shifting operational responsibility to Nigerian forces. The approach reflects Abuja’s effort to balance external assistance with domestic control amid ongoing security challenges in the country’s northwest.
Nigeria: Questions Mount Over U.S. Airstrikes in Northern Nigeria
The U.S. airstrikes carried out in northern Nigeria on Christmas Day have triggered confusion and skepticism across the region. Conflicting statements from Washington and Abuja, uncertainty over the identity of the targeted groups, and reports from strike locations where no militants were found have raised serious questions about the operation’s objectives. In an already fragile security environment, the lack of clarity risks adding instability rather than addressing Nigeria’s complex security challenges.