Maghreb Edition

Algeria: Momentum builds for pro-democracy Hirak movement, Algerians insist on end of regimeF

Posted On 5 March 2021

Number of times this article was read : 480

UN urges Algeria to stop attacks on protesters

The United Nations on Friday voiced concern about an increasing crackdown on a pro-democracy protest movement in Algeria, highlighting hundreds of arrests in recent weeks and torture allegations. UN rights office spokesman Rupert Colville told reporters the rights situation was deteriorating and criticised the “continued and increasing crackdown on members of the pro-democracy Hirak movement”.
The rights office, he said, was urging Algerian authorities to free all those arbitrarily detained, stop using violence against peaceful protesters and cease arbitrary arrests. The office had “reliable information” indicating that hundreds of people had been detained since street protests resumed on February 13, after months of being forced online because of the pandemic.
The Hirak protest movement broke out in February 2019 in outrage at Abdelaziz Bouteflika’s bid for a fifth presidential term. The ageing leader was forced to step down weeks later, but the movement continued with twice-weekly demonstrations demanding sweeping reforms.

Torture, sexual violence

Colville warned that the latest developments echoed the reaction to the demonstrations in 2019 and 2020, when at least 2,500 people were detained. “Vaguely worded provisions of the Algerian penal code are being used to unduly restrict freedom of expression and prosecute people expressing dissenting opinions,” he warned, calling on authorities to repeal legal provisions being misused in this way.
A number of journalists have been arrested for covering or reporting on the protest movement, he said, adding that 16 independent online media outlets known for critical reporting had been blocked. At the same time, criminal prosecution of activists, students, journalists, bloggers and ordinary citizens had also continued, he said.
Colville said the rights office had received credible reports that some 1,000 people had been prosecuted for participating in the Hirak movement or for social media posts critical of the government. “We have also received allegations of torture and ill-treatment in detention, including sexual violence,” he said. The UN is calling for the authorities to promptly and impartially investigate all allegations of torture and other abuse in detention and hold perpetrators accountable.
AFP
Thousands demonstrated in Algeria’s capital and other cities Friday, AFP journalists said, as a revived protest movement takes root again in the North African country.   The movement, known locally as “Hirak”, first mobilised in February 2019 and within weeks forced then president Abdelaziz Bouteflika to abandon a bid for a fifth term and resign.   It called a halt to protests early last year as coronavirus restrictions took hold, but returned to the streets late last month to celebrate its second anniversary, protesting every Friday since.
“Hirak rallies will continue until this regime, which refuses to hear our voice, ceases to exist,” said Bilal, a 37-year-old civil servant who joined the protest in Algiers. Several marches converged in the early afternoon in the capital, following Friday prayers and amid a heavy police presence, while a helicopter hovered overhead.
“I hope that my children and grandchildren get to live in a better Algeria than the one I have lived through,” said Khadidja, a protester in her seventies.   She said she had taken part in every rally since the first one on February 22, 2019.
Journalist Khaled Drareni, recently freed after nearly a year in custody, covered Friday’s protests on his social media accounts.  Protesters lashed out at the intelligence services, accusing them of being “terrorists”. Detainees have alleged they were tortured in custody. Rallies also took place in cities including Oran and Tizi Ouzou.
Protesters see the regime as little changed from the one led by Bouteflika. Current President Abdelmadjid Tebboune, once a prime minister under Bouteflika and elected in a widely boycotted December 2019 presidential poll, has ostensibly reached out to the protest movement while seeking to neutralise it.
AFP
The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Trump Sends Controversial Envoy to South Africa at a Diplomatic Low PointF

Leo Brent Bozell III has arrived in Pretoria as the new U.S. ambassador to South Africa, stepping into one of the most strained periods in bilateral relations in recent years. His appointment, amid disputes over Israel, Afrikaner rights allegations, and diplomatic expulsions, reflects a politically charged moment that could redefine the trajectory of U.S.–South Africa ties.

Algeria and Niger Relaunch Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline After Diplomatic FreezeF

Algeria and Niger have ended months of strained relations and announced the operational launch of the Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline, a 4,000-kilometer project linking Nigerian gas fields to European markets through Niger and Algeria. The move signals both a diplomatic reset and a renewed push to position North Africa as a strategic energy corridor.

Morocco Detains Civic Activist Amid Online Speech ConcernsF

Moroccan authorities have detained Mohammed Khalif,a Casablanca-based member of the youth movement GenZ212, following a home search and seizure of his computer. Charges have not yet been publicly disclosed. His arrest comes days after another GenZ212 member was prosecuted over alleged online incitement, raising questions about the legal climate surrounding youth activism and digital expression in Morocco.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.