Maghreb Edition

Algeria’s harassment of journalists continues, prosecutors wants more prison time to journalist DrareniF

Posted On 17 February 2022

Number of times this article was read : 433

Algerian prosecutors on Thursday called for harsher penalties against journalist and press freedom activist Khaled Drareni, his lawyer said, after an appeal against his two-year prison sentence. The 41-year-old, who used to work for French news channel TV5 Monde and press freedom group Reporters without Borders (RSF), was sentenced in September 2020 for “inciting” demonstrations and “attacking national unity”.

The charges related to his coverage of demonstrations held by the Hirak opposition movement in 2020, a year after the mass protests toppled longtime president Abdelaziz Bouteflika. In February 2021, he was pardoned by President Abdelmajid Tebboune after 11 months behind bars, but the following month the high court ruled his case could be re-examined.

Drareni’s lawyer Mustapha Bouchachi said the journalist had been “prosecuted, sentenced, and continues to be hassled by the justice system for doing his job”, adding that it was “a shame we got to this point.” The verdict of the appeal will be issued on March 3. Authorities also accuse Drareni of working for foreign media without accreditation, as well as being an informant for “foreign parties”. He has rejected the accusations, saying he was only “doing his job as an independent journalist”.

Algeria ranks 146th out of 180 countries on RSF’s press freedom index, having fallen 27 places in five years.

AFP
The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Algeria and Niger Restore Ties, Signaling a Shift in Sahel DiplomacyF

Algeria and Niger restored diplomatic relations after nearly a year of tensions triggered by regional security disputes. The return of ambassadors and a planned high-level visit signal renewed cooperation centered on energy development, border security, and regional trade. The rapprochement highlights the strategic importance of the Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline and reflects broader efforts to stabilize partnerships across the Sahel amid ongoing security and economic pressures.

French Interior Minister Renews Dialogue with AlgeriaF

French Interior Minister Laurent Nunez’s announced visit to Algiers marks a formal attempt to restart diplomatic engagement between France and Algeria after a period of strained relations. Discussions are expected to focus on security cooperation in the Sahel, the handling of deportation orders affecting Algerian nationals, and the case of imprisoned journalist Christophe Gleize. The visit takes place amid shifting regional dynamics, including Algeria’s growing role in Sahel security arrangements and recent signals of economic and political goodwill between the two countries.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.