MEA RISK’s SHIELD & ALERT notifications: Access requires installing Shield & Alert mobile application. More info on S&A here or click here to signup and install

Nigeria: Questions Mount Over U.S. Airstrikes in Northern Nigeria$

By Leslie Varenne, MondAfrique: The American strikes carried out in Nigeria on Christmas Day raise serious questions. Beyond the confusion surrounding the objectives of the operation, inconsistencies in official statements, and the unclear nature of the targets, the...

Nigeria grapples with end of fuel subsidyF

By Alexandre Martins Lopes: Nigerians are struggling with surging fuel prices after newly elected President Bola Tinubu declared an end to popular subsidies, a move analysts and experts said was long overdue. On his first day in office, Tinubu kept to his campaign...

Chinese workers freed from kidnappersF

Posted On 17 August 2020

Shield and Alert Nigeria

Article sponsored by MEA Risk LLC

Warri, Nigeria – Four Chinese workers abducted from a quarry site in southern Nigeria have been freed, police said Sunday. Unknown gunmen seized the Chinese nationals in Akpabuyo in Cross Rivers state last month and killed their police guard. “We were able to secure the release of the Chinese nationals in Akpabuyo at about 1700 hours on Saturday,” state police spokeswoman Irene Ugbo told AFP. Ugbo could not say if ransom was paid. “They are currently receiving treatment at an undisclosed hospital and no arrest has been made yet,” she said. “I am not also aware of any payment of ransom for their release,” she added.

Chinese firms are working in Nigeria on multi-billion dollar infrastructure projects that include railways, airports and roads. Their workers have been repeatedly targeted by kidnap gangs. Kidnapping for ransom is common in Nigeria, especially in  the oil-rich south. The victims are usually released after a ransom is paid although police rarely confirm if money changed hands

AFP

Recent News from Nigeria

Nigeria Adjusts Airstrike Strategy Under Expanded U.S. Security Cooperation$

Nigeria is modifying how it conducts air operations against armed groups under a revised security arrangement with the United States. The new framework places greater emphasis on U.S. intelligence and reconnaissance support while shifting operational responsibility to Nigerian forces. The approach reflects Abuja’s effort to balance external assistance with domestic control amid ongoing security challenges in the country’s northwest.

Nigeria: Questions Mount Over U.S. Airstrikes in Northern Nigeria$

The U.S. airstrikes carried out in northern Nigeria on Christmas Day have triggered confusion and skepticism across the region. Conflicting statements from Washington and Abuja, uncertainty over the identity of the targeted groups, and reports from strike locations where no militants were found have raised serious questions about the operation’s objectives. In an already fragile security environment, the lack of clarity risks adding instability rather than addressing Nigeria’s complex security challenges.

Shield and Alert Nigeria