Maghreb Edition

Egypt: Access toll on Suez Canal increases by 6%F

Posted On 4 November 2021

Number of times this article was read : 503

Egypt’s Suez Canal Authority said Thursday it will hike transit tolls on the key waterway by six percent, after netting record revenues last tax year even amid the coronavirus pandemic. The new fees will come into place from February 2022, but tourist vessels and liquefied natural gas (LNG) carriers will be exempted, Suez Canal Authority chief Osama Rabie said in a statement. In July, authorities said the canal had netted record revenues of $5.4 billion in the previous tax year, despite the coronavirus pandemic’s impact on world trade, plus a six-day blockage by a giant cargo ship. Straddling the Red Sea and the Mediterranean, the Suez Canal accounts for roughly 10 percent of global maritime trade, and is a source of much-needed foreign currency for Egypt. Nearly 17,000 boats have crossed the Suez Canal so far this year, according to the authority.

AFP
The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Morocco’s Deficit Widens in Trade With TurkeyF

Trade between Turkey and Morocco has accelerated sharply, surpassing $5 billion in recent exchanges and strengthening Ankara’s position in the Moroccan market. While the expansion reflects deeper economic integration, Moroccan policymakers are seeking investment-based solutions to address a widening trade imbalance and position the country as a regional production hub ahead of the 2030 World Cup.

Moroccan pharmacy unions push back against proposed ownership reforms

Moroccan pharmacists’ unions are urging regulators and the professional Order to reject proposals that would allow outside investors to hold stakes in pharmacies. They argue the change could weaken professional independence, reshape pharmacies into commercial projects, and pressure smaller operators that support access to medicines nationwide.

Egypt Names New Defense Minister in Reshuffle Amid Regional Strain

Egypt’s latest cabinet reshuffle brought a new defense minister, revived the Information Ministry, and changed multiple economic and service portfolios. From Cairo’s standpoint, the move is designed to tighten execution, stabilize institutions, and preserve strategic flexibility as Egypt manages economic strain and a more volatile regional environment.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.