Maghreb Edition

Egypt cancels religious events amid resurgence of Covid epidemicF

Posted On 6 May 2021

Number of times this article was read : 1278

Egypt on Wednesday announced a partial shutdown of malls and restaurants and called off festivities for the Muslim holidays of Eid al-Fitr to curb rising coronavirus cases. The closure of cafes, malls and restaurants from 9 pm will take effect from Thursday until May 21. Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouli told a televised news conference that Egypt was in a “third wave” of the Covid-19 pandemic, urging citizens to follow health guidelines and register for vaccinations.

Egypt, the most populous Arab country, has recorded nearly 232,000 positive cases including more than 13,000 deaths. “You have a responsibility not just for yourself but also your family,” he said, flanked by Health Minister Hala Zayed and other senior officials. “We are at a critical stage,” he said.

The government said Eid al-Fitr holidays, marking the end of the Muslim dawn-to-dusk fasting month of Ramadan, will run from May 12-16. Madbouli said beaches, parks and recreational facilities will be fully shut
during the five-day holiday. No concerts or large festivities such as weddings will be permitted, he added. Worshippers will be allowed to perform Eid prayers at designated mosques where regular weekly Friday prayers are held.

Madbouli said about 1.7 million people had been fined in recent months for not wearing face masks and hundreds of thousands of shishas (waterpipes) been seized from cafes. Egypt is to receive a total of 4.9 million doses of coronavirus vaccines in May, according to the cabinet.

AFP
The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Trump Sends Controversial Envoy to South Africa at a Diplomatic Low PointF

Leo Brent Bozell III has arrived in Pretoria as the new U.S. ambassador to South Africa, stepping into one of the most strained periods in bilateral relations in recent years. His appointment, amid disputes over Israel, Afrikaner rights allegations, and diplomatic expulsions, reflects a politically charged moment that could redefine the trajectory of U.S.–South Africa ties.

Morocco Detains Civic Activist Amid Online Speech ConcernsF

Moroccan authorities have detained Mohammed Khalif,a Casablanca-based member of the youth movement GenZ212, following a home search and seizure of his computer. Charges have not yet been publicly disclosed. His arrest comes days after another GenZ212 member was prosecuted over alleged online incitement, raising questions about the legal climate surrounding youth activism and digital expression in Morocco.

Tunisia: Arrest of Opposition Figure Olfa Hamdi Raises ConcernsF

A Tunisian civil liberties organization has called for transparency and the release of opposition party leader Olfa Hamdi following reports of her detention. With no formal statement issued by authorities several days after the alleged arrest, rights advocates say the silence raises concerns about due process and the state of political freedoms in Tunisia.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.