Maghreb Edition

Egypt: Pro-Mubarak Facebook page admin arrested for “spreading false info”F

Posted On 11 July 2019

Number of times this article was read : 258

Cairo, July 11, 2019 – The administrator of a Facebook page supporting Egyptian ex-president Hosni Mubarak was detained for 15 days for “spreading false information”, a judicial source said Thursday. Karim Hussein is the administrator of a page named “I’m sorry Mr President”, which was created in February 2011 and is followed by more than three million people. Mubarak was overthrown that month after almost 30 years in power, amid a popular uprising that shook Egypt at the height of the Arab Spring.

Egypt’s prosecutor general put Hussein “in detention for 15 days for the purpose of the investigation”, the judicial source told AFP. “The prosecutor general accused him of spreading false information, misleading public opinion with misinformation, misuse of social media and harming public security”, the source added.

The team behind the Facebook page said in a statement that Hussein “had been taken away by security services to answer questions related to the page”. The team’s statement added that it did not know what content the investigation was focusing on, but noted that the authorities were exercising their inherent right “to question any citizen”. Hussein was detained several days after an archive video was shared on his page in which Mubarak said he refused to cut state subsidies in order to safeguard “the poor citizen”.

The video was shared more than 1.5 million times. President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi’s government has implemented unpopular austerity policies since 2016, at the insistence of the International Monetary Fund. The measures involve drastic cuts to state subsidies and have sparked an outcry by Egyptians. Sisi, in power since 2014, has been accused by NGOs of cracking down on dissent. In September 2018, he passed a law that permitted close surveillance of social media accounts with mass followings. The charge of “spreading false information” is regularly used against dissidents or human rights defenders in the country. Authorities say they are preserving the security and stability of the country.

By AFP

The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Trump Sends Controversial Envoy to South Africa at a Diplomatic Low Point

Leo Brent Bozell III has arrived in Pretoria as the new U.S. ambassador to South Africa, stepping into one of the most strained periods in bilateral relations in recent years. His appointment, amid disputes over Israel, Afrikaner rights allegations, and diplomatic expulsions, reflects a politically charged moment that could redefine the trajectory of U.S.–South Africa ties.

Algeria and Niger Relaunch Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline After Diplomatic Freeze

Algeria and Niger have ended months of strained relations and announced the operational launch of the Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline, a 4,000-kilometer project linking Nigerian gas fields to European markets through Niger and Algeria. The move signals both a diplomatic reset and a renewed push to position North Africa as a strategic energy corridor.

Morocco Detains Civic Activist Amid Online Speech Concerns

Moroccan authorities have detained Mohammed Khalif,a Casablanca-based member of the youth movement GenZ212, following a home search and seizure of his computer. Charges have not yet been publicly disclosed. His arrest comes days after another GenZ212 member was prosecuted over alleged online incitement, raising questions about the legal climate surrounding youth activism and digital expression in Morocco.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.