Maghreb Edition

Libya: Companies flock to Benghazi for reconstruction projectsF

Posted On 2 November 2023

Number of times this article was read : 3574

More than 260 Libyan and international companies on Wednesday attended a forum in Benghazi organised by the country’s eastern authorities with the hope of rebuilding the flood-ravaged city of Derna. On September 10, Storm Daniel hit the east coast of Libya, causing floods that collapsed two dams in the coastal city and released a deluge of water that razed entire neighbourhoods. Thousands of people were reported dead and missing, and more than 40,000 were displaced by the disaster.

The eastern authorities, unrecognised by the United Nations and backed by military strongman Khalifa Haftar, invited the international community to the event aimed at planning Derna’s reconstruction nearly two months after large parts of the port city were destroyed.

More than 400 participants and 260 firms from around 10 countries “including the United States, France, Russia, China and Turkey” were represented at the opening of the forum, the organising committee said in a press release. The event, initially set for October, was postponed to November 1 and 2 to “offer time for the submission of effective studies and projects”, a statement from the organisers said last month.

Libya has been battered by armed conflict and political chaos since a NATO-backed uprising led to the toppling of dictator Moamer Kadhafi in 2011. The North African country is now divided between an internationally recognised Tripoli-based government led by interim Prime Minister Abdulhamid Dbeibah in the west, and the Haftar-backed administration in the east.

“The primary objective of this forum is to discuss and consult on a specific vision” for the reconstruction of Derna, said Oussama Hamad, head of the eastern government. “The (eastern) government intends to launch vast  projects to achieve these objectives,” he added.

The European Union mission in Libya said in a statement on Wednesday it was “only considering participating as observers at technical level to the Benghazi conference”. “Our attendance will not constitute an endorsement of any unilateral reconstruction initiatives, or of the status of any Libyan participants,” it added.

The US ambassador to Libya, Richard Norland, said in late September that rebuilding Derna would be more effective if both ruling sides worked “jointly and inclusively in coordination with institutions that manage resources and funding taking into account the best interests of the Libyan people”. “As focus on reconstruction increases, Libyans need to be assured public funds are used transparently, accountably, and that assistance goes to those in need,” the statement read.

AFP
The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Trump Sends Controversial Envoy to South Africa at a Diplomatic Low PointF

Leo Brent Bozell III has arrived in Pretoria as the new U.S. ambassador to South Africa, stepping into one of the most strained periods in bilateral relations in recent years. His appointment, amid disputes over Israel, Afrikaner rights allegations, and diplomatic expulsions, reflects a politically charged moment that could redefine the trajectory of U.S.–South Africa ties.

Algeria and Niger Relaunch Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline After Diplomatic FreezeF

Algeria and Niger have ended months of strained relations and announced the operational launch of the Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline, a 4,000-kilometer project linking Nigerian gas fields to European markets through Niger and Algeria. The move signals both a diplomatic reset and a renewed push to position North Africa as a strategic energy corridor.

Morocco Detains Civic Activist Amid Online Speech ConcernsF

Moroccan authorities have detained Mohammed Khalif,a Casablanca-based member of the youth movement GenZ212, following a home search and seizure of his computer. Charges have not yet been publicly disclosed. His arrest comes days after another GenZ212 member was prosecuted over alleged online incitement, raising questions about the legal climate surrounding youth activism and digital expression in Morocco.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.