Maghreb Edition

Libya: Egyptian migrants dead and missing after boat sank off the coast TolmetaF

Posted On 30 August 2022

Number of times this article was read : 767

Five migrants died and 16 went missing after their boat sank off the coast of eastern Libya while attempting to reach Europe, authorities said on Tuesday. A rescue unit official told AFP that the boat with 27 people on board — all Egyptians — capsized off Tolmeta in the east, but without specifying when this happened. The official said five bodies were recovered and six people rescued. Another 16 were missing and presumed drowned. “The boat was 35 kilometres (19 nautical miles) off the coast in a rocky and hard to reach area, and this hampered rescue efforts,” the source said.

The chaos that erupted after the fall of Moamer Kadhafi’s regime in 2011 made Libya a preferred stop for tens of thousands of migrants from sub-Saharan Africa, Arab states and South Asia, mainly seeking to reach the Italian coast in Europe. Thousands remain stranded in the lawless North African state. Human Rights Watch said this month some 32,450 people had been intercepted by Libyan forces last year and “hauled back to arbitrary detention and abuse” in the war-ravaged country as European countries turned a blind eye.

Since the start of the year, 14,157 migrants have been intercepted and dragged back to detention in Libya while trying to cross the Mediterranean, according to the International Organization for Migration’s latest figures. The IOM said at least 216 people have died attempting to make the crossing to Europe and 724 are missing and presumed dead.

AFP

The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Algeria and Niger Restore Ties, Signaling a Shift in Sahel DiplomacyF

Algeria and Niger restored diplomatic relations after nearly a year of tensions triggered by regional security disputes. The return of ambassadors and a planned high-level visit signal renewed cooperation centered on energy development, border security, and regional trade. The rapprochement highlights the strategic importance of the Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline and reflects broader efforts to stabilize partnerships across the Sahel amid ongoing security and economic pressures.

French Interior Minister Renews Dialogue with AlgeriaF

French Interior Minister Laurent Nunez’s announced visit to Algiers marks a formal attempt to restart diplomatic engagement between France and Algeria after a period of strained relations. Discussions are expected to focus on security cooperation in the Sahel, the handling of deportation orders affecting Algerian nationals, and the case of imprisoned journalist Christophe Gleize. The visit takes place amid shifting regional dynamics, including Algeria’s growing role in Sahel security arrangements and recent signals of economic and political goodwill between the two countries.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.