Maghreb Edition

Libya: France pressured to stop donating boats to Libyan coastguardF

Posted On 25 April 2019

Number of times this article was read : 244

Paris, April 25, 2019 – Eight international NGOs including Amnesty International and Doctors Without Borders demanded Thursday that France suspend the delivery of boats to Libya’s coastguard on concerns they would be used to intercept migrants. French Armed Forces Minister Francoise Parly had in February agreed to donate six boats to the Libyan navy, under which the coastguard operates, in a 
move she said was aimed at helping them “in the fight against illegal immigration”. 

But the offer angered rights groups who said they would be used to block migrant boats seeking to reach Europe, forcing those on board to return to war-torn Libya. The demand was laid out in a legal challenge that was filed at the administrative court in Paris on Thursday morning. In it, the groups demand “the suspension of the decision” until the court decides whether or not the donation is legal.   The court has 48 hours to make a decision. The NGOs believe forcing people to return to Libya would expose them to “serious human rights violations”.

‘Callous and irresponsible’ 

Massimo Moratti, regional director for research at Amnesty International, said the pledge to deliver boats to the Libyan coastguard was “an unlawful and reckless decision”.  He said it was all the more dangerous at a time when fighting has intensified after military strongman Khalifa Haftar launched an offensive on the capital Tripoli earlier this month.  “Doing it now, as the armed conflict in Libya escalates, is even more callous and irresponsible,” Moratti said in a statement, warning the donation would make France “complicit” in trapping people inside the country. 

The NGOs accused the coastguard of having a bad track record in respecting those in distress at sea, saying it should not be given the logistical means to step up such abuses.  The statement accused the coastguard of abuses including pushing those in distress back into the water, threatening them with weapons and firing towards them.

The six vessels, which are to be delivered in the coming weeks, are 12-metre, semi-rigid boats made by French specialist Sillinger.  As well as Amnesty and Doctors Without Borders (MSF), the legal petition was joined by France’s Human Rights League, immigrant support group GISTI, Lawyers Without Borders, migrant aid groups La Cimade and Migreurop and Italian research and aid group ASGI. 

By AFP

The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Trump Sends Controversial Envoy to South Africa at a Diplomatic Low PointF

Leo Brent Bozell III has arrived in Pretoria as the new U.S. ambassador to South Africa, stepping into one of the most strained periods in bilateral relations in recent years. His appointment, amid disputes over Israel, Afrikaner rights allegations, and diplomatic expulsions, reflects a politically charged moment that could redefine the trajectory of U.S.–South Africa ties.

Morocco Detains Civic Activist Amid Online Speech ConcernsF

Moroccan authorities have detained Mohammed Khalif,a Casablanca-based member of the youth movement GenZ212, following a home search and seizure of his computer. Charges have not yet been publicly disclosed. His arrest comes days after another GenZ212 member was prosecuted over alleged online incitement, raising questions about the legal climate surrounding youth activism and digital expression in Morocco.

Tunisia: Arrest of Opposition Figure Olfa Hamdi Raises ConcernsF

A Tunisian civil liberties organization has called for transparency and the release of opposition party leader Olfa Hamdi following reports of her detention. With no formal statement issued by authorities several days after the alleged arrest, rights advocates say the silence raises concerns about due process and the state of political freedoms in Tunisia.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.