Maghreb Edition

Libya: More evidence that new PM Dbeibah may have been elected in exchange for large cash bribesF

Posted On 18 March 2021

Number of times this article was read : 401

At least three participants in UN-led Libya peace talks held in Tunisia in November were offered bribes to vote for a prime ministerial candidate, a UN report published Tuesday found. The report was compiled by UN experts responsible for verifying the application of international sanctions on Libya, including the arms embargo they described as “totally ineffective.”

Interim prime minister Abdul Hamid Dbeibah was selected last month during Libyan Political Dialogue Forum (LPDF) talks in Tunis, in the United Nations’ latest bid to salvage the country from a decade of conflict and fragmentation. During the forum’s initial round, “the panel established that at least three participants were offered bribes to vote for a specific candidate as prime minister,” the report states. “The forum participants involved in the incident were categorical in their rejection of the bribes.”

A French version of the report said at least three Libyan politicians or businessmen running for the post had made the offers. The names of those involved were not disclosed, though were included in a confidential annex to the report. An excerpt of that annex seen by AFP on February 28 states that two forum members “offered bribes of between $150,000 to $200,000 to at least three LPDF participants if they committed to vote for Dbeibah as PM.”

One delegate “erupted in anger in (the) lobby of the Four Seasons hotel in Tunis on hearing that some participants may have received up to… $500,000 for their Dbeibah votes, whereas he had only received $200,000,” the extract says. In early February, the 75 participants picked by the UN to represent a wide spectrum of Libyan constituencies themselves selected an interim administration led by billionaire Dbeibah and a three-member presidential council.

On March 2, the presidential council and Dbeibah in a statement called on UN experts to publish their report into the bribe attempts. Libya’s parliament last week approved a unity government headed by Dbeibah, who was sworn in Monday.

AFP
The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Trump Sends Controversial Envoy to South Africa at a Diplomatic Low PointF

Leo Brent Bozell III has arrived in Pretoria as the new U.S. ambassador to South Africa, stepping into one of the most strained periods in bilateral relations in recent years. His appointment, amid disputes over Israel, Afrikaner rights allegations, and diplomatic expulsions, reflects a politically charged moment that could redefine the trajectory of U.S.–South Africa ties.

Algeria and Niger Relaunch Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline After Diplomatic FreezeF

Algeria and Niger have ended months of strained relations and announced the operational launch of the Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline, a 4,000-kilometer project linking Nigerian gas fields to European markets through Niger and Algeria. The move signals both a diplomatic reset and a renewed push to position North Africa as a strategic energy corridor.

Morocco Detains Civic Activist Amid Online Speech ConcernsF

Moroccan authorities have detained Mohammed Khalif,a Casablanca-based member of the youth movement GenZ212, following a home search and seizure of his computer. Charges have not yet been publicly disclosed. His arrest comes days after another GenZ212 member was prosecuted over alleged online incitement, raising questions about the legal climate surrounding youth activism and digital expression in Morocco.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.