Maghreb Edition

Libya: Oil production from Sharara back after sabotage on pipelineF

Posted On 22 July 2019

Number of times this article was read : 301
Tripoli, July 22, 2019 – Libya announced the resumption of production Monday at its largest oil field and the loading of crude at a shipping terminal, following a three-day suspension due to “sabotage” of a pipeline.  Al-Sharara, about 900 kilometres (560 miles) south of Tripoli, produces 315,000 barrels per day — nearly one third of Libya’s crude output — but is frequently attacked and blocked by militias. “National Oil Corporation (NOC) announces the lifting of force majeure on Sharara crude oil loading from Zawiya port, following the opening of a closed valve on the pipeline connecting the Sharara oilfield to the Zawiya terminal,” which is government-controlled, the company said on its website.
Force majeure is a legal measure that frees a company from contractual obligations due to circumstances beyond its control.   NOC chairman Mustafa Sanalla condemned the pipeline closure as “criminal activity” and said the firm and authorities would “find and prosecute” those responsible. Oil exports are the source of almost all state revenue in Libya, which has the biggest proven reserves of crude in Africa. But after the fall and killing of longtime dictator Moamer Kadhafi in a NATO-backed 2011 uprising, the country fell into chaos as multiple armed groups vied for control. The NOC had previously declared “force majeure” at the Al-Sharara site in December after it was seized by an armed group, but it reopened after forces of military strongman Khalifa Haftar took control in February.
By AFP
The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Trump Sends Controversial Envoy to South Africa at a Diplomatic Low PointF

Leo Brent Bozell III has arrived in Pretoria as the new U.S. ambassador to South Africa, stepping into one of the most strained periods in bilateral relations in recent years. His appointment, amid disputes over Israel, Afrikaner rights allegations, and diplomatic expulsions, reflects a politically charged moment that could redefine the trajectory of U.S.–South Africa ties.

Algeria and Niger Relaunch Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline After Diplomatic FreezeF

Algeria and Niger have ended months of strained relations and announced the operational launch of the Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline, a 4,000-kilometer project linking Nigerian gas fields to European markets through Niger and Algeria. The move signals both a diplomatic reset and a renewed push to position North Africa as a strategic energy corridor.

Morocco Detains Civic Activist Amid Online Speech ConcernsF

Moroccan authorities have detained Mohammed Khalif,a Casablanca-based member of the youth movement GenZ212, following a home search and seizure of his computer. Charges have not yet been publicly disclosed. His arrest comes days after another GenZ212 member was prosecuted over alleged online incitement, raising questions about the legal climate surrounding youth activism and digital expression in Morocco.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.