Maghreb Edition

Libya: Transition continues with new government taking over western Libya’s structuresF

Posted On 16 March 2021

Number of times this article was read : 381

Libya’s Fayez al-Sarraj, outgoing head of the western-based Government of National Accord, formally handed over power Tuesday to a new interim executive hoped to unify the divided and war-torn nation. Sarraj, who has led the UN-recognised GNA since it was set up in 2016, stepped down from the role in a ceremony in Tripoli, one day after the new interim Prime Minister Abdul Hamid Dbeibah and a three-member  presidency council took the oath of office in parliament. The new Government of National Unity (GNU), selected through a UN-supported process, is the latest internationally backed bid to end a decade of chaos in the North African nation and unite rival administrations.

Libya descended into conflict after dictator Moamer Kadhafi was toppled and killed in a NATO-backed uprising in 2011, with an array of forces battling to fill the void. The new administration is hoped to replace both the GNA in Tripoli and a parallel cabinet headquartered in the east, under the de facto control of forces backing military strongman Khalifa Haftar. Sarraj gave a brief speech in which he recalled the “endless  difficulties” his government had faced. Those included “the war on terrorism”, the failed 2019 offensive by Haftar’s forces to seize Tripoli, as well as “foreign interference”.

Sarraj and the GNA had never won support of the eastern-based parliament. A decade after Kadhafi was toppled, oil-rich Libya is divided between rival forces, with an estimated 20,000 mercenaries and foreign fighters still in the country.

In recent years, Turkey propped up the GNA, while Haftar’s administration has drawn on support from the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Russia. “We are determined to continue the path of reform and everything you started,” Dbeibah told Sarraj, before posing for photographs, while an orchestra played the national anthem. Mohamed al-Manfi, who heads the presidency council, thanked the Sarraj government for “all that it was able to accomplish under difficult circumstances.”

Dbeibah, a 61-year-old engineer and businessman, was selected on last month by a forum of 75 Libyan delegates at UN-led talks in Switzerland. Last week parliament approved his choice of cabinet, a government he has said he hopes “will be the government of all Libyans”. Haftar last month offered “the support of the armed forces for the peace process”.

AFP
The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Trump Sends Controversial Envoy to South Africa at a Diplomatic Low PointF

Leo Brent Bozell III has arrived in Pretoria as the new U.S. ambassador to South Africa, stepping into one of the most strained periods in bilateral relations in recent years. His appointment, amid disputes over Israel, Afrikaner rights allegations, and diplomatic expulsions, reflects a politically charged moment that could redefine the trajectory of U.S.–South Africa ties.

Algeria and Niger Relaunch Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline After Diplomatic FreezeF

Algeria and Niger have ended months of strained relations and announced the operational launch of the Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline, a 4,000-kilometer project linking Nigerian gas fields to European markets through Niger and Algeria. The move signals both a diplomatic reset and a renewed push to position North Africa as a strategic energy corridor.

Morocco Detains Civic Activist Amid Online Speech ConcernsF

Moroccan authorities have detained Mohammed Khalif,a Casablanca-based member of the youth movement GenZ212, following a home search and seizure of his computer. Charges have not yet been publicly disclosed. His arrest comes days after another GenZ212 member was prosecuted over alleged online incitement, raising questions about the legal climate surrounding youth activism and digital expression in Morocco.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.