Maghreb Edition

Libya: Violence reignites in Libya amid slow political progressF

Posted On 3 September 2021

Number of times this article was read : 441

Two Libyan army units used heavy artillery in an exchange of fire overnight centring on a barracks in a densely populated area of southeast Tripoli. An attack early Friday ordered by the military commander in the capital saw members of a security group set up by ex-premier Fayez al-Sarraj target Al-Tekbali barracks, the headquarters of 444 Brigade. “What happened… today is a correction of the course taken by 444 Brigade” which has “deviated” and “ceased to obey military orders”, Tripoli area commander Brigadier General Abdelbaset Marouane said in a video message posted on the internet.

The noise of heavy artillery in action was heard throughout the city from just after midnight and lasted until early on Friday morning. Columns of smoke still hung in the air near the barracks after the fighting stopped, a resident of the heavily populated Salaheddine area in the suburbs told AFP by phone. The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) in a statement expressed its “grave concern” about the clashes and urged all parties to “exercise maximum restraint”. UNSMIL also called on “all relevant authorities to assume their responsibilities in ensuring the protection of civilians and in exercisingcontrol over their respective units”. “UNSMIL reminds all parties of their obligations under international humanitarian law to ensure the protection of civilians and civilian infrastructure,” the statement said.

The incident was a reminder of the precarious security situation in the North African country nearly a decade after the overthrow of dictator Moamer Kadhafi. Repeated outbreaks of fighting ended with a UN-backed ceasefire last year. That paved the way for peace talks and the formation of a transitional government this March, ahead of elections set for December. But preparations are marred by disputes between key stakeholders over when to hold elections, what elections to hold, and on what constitutional grounds.

AFP
The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

French Interior Minister Renews Dialogue with AlgeriaF

French Interior Minister Laurent Nunez’s announced visit to Algiers marks a formal attempt to restart diplomatic engagement between France and Algeria after a period of strained relations. Discussions are expected to focus on security cooperation in the Sahel, the handling of deportation orders affecting Algerian nationals, and the case of imprisoned journalist Christophe Gleize. The visit takes place amid shifting regional dynamics, including Algeria’s growing role in Sahel security arrangements and recent signals of economic and political goodwill between the two countries.

Moroccan pharmacy unions push back against proposed ownership reforms

Moroccan pharmacists’ unions are urging regulators and the professional Order to reject proposals that would allow outside investors to hold stakes in pharmacies. They argue the change could weaken professional independence, reshape pharmacies into commercial projects, and pressure smaller operators that support access to medicines nationwide.

Morocco Allegations Reignite Spain’s Pegasus Debate

New reporting has revived scrutiny of the 2021 Pegasus intrusion targeting Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez’s phone, focusing on the Ceuta visit as a potential operational opening and renewing debate over attribution, accountability, and Spain’s wider relationship with Morocco, including questions raised by Morocco’s growing security ties with Israel.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.