Maghreb Edition

Morocco uses judicial harassment to punish journalistsF

Posted On 11 June 2021

Number of times this article was read : 479

Jailed Moroccan journalist tells judge: “I want to go back to die in prison.”

11 June 2021: The trial of Moroccan journalist Soulaimane Raissouni, who has been on hunger strike for 64 days, was Thursday again postponed to June 15 after a tense hearing where his lawyers said they were unable to plead due to the “alarming” state of his health. Raissouni, 48, chief editor of Moroccan independent daily Akhbar al-Youm, is accused of “indecent assault”, charges he denies. He began a hunger strike in April demanding to be provisionally released, having been held in detention for more than a year, with all his requests for provisional release having been rejected since his arrest at the end of May 2020.

“We cannot plead while this man is dying before our eyes,” his lawyers said, while the judge of the Casablanca Court of Appeal had insisted that proceedings start as quickly as possible. His staggering, emaciated appearance gripped the court Thursday, with the silence broken only by the sobs of his family. “You can let me out of prison to send me home, but it’s me alone who decides to go from prison to the tomb,” he told the judge. “His place is in a hospital,” said Souad Brahma, one of his lawyers. The judge had to postpone the hearing once again after the journalist said: “I can’t take it any longer. I want to go back to die in prison.” His request for provisional release was rejected Thursday evening.

Reporters Without Borders (RSF) tweeted calling on King Mohammed VI “not to let the journalist die in prison.” The Court of Appeal also refused a sixth request for provisional release by fellow journalist Omar Radi. Radi, known for his human rights work, has been held in pre-trial detention for 10 months on charges of rape and receiving foreign funds for the purpose of harming “state security”. He denies all the charges against him.

Supporters say both cases are part of a defamation campaign targeting journalists and rights activists critical of Moroccan authorities. RSF also reported that the appeal trial of historian Maati Monjib was postponed to September 30 after a brief hearing Thursday in Rabat. The media rights watchdog said he had been sentenced to a year in prison for fraud and “endangering state security” after training journalists to investigate.

AFP

A Moroccan court rejected last week an appeal to release a journalist awaiting trial who has been on hunger strike for 57 days against his detention, his lawyer said. Soulaimane Raissouni, 48, chief editor of Moroccan independent daily Akhbar al-Youm, is accused of “indecent assault”, charges he denies. He began a hunger strike in April demanding to be provisionally released, having been held in detention for months. “He is in a serious health condition, and cannot stand up straight for five minutes,” his lawyer Mohamed Messaoudi said in court. “He is incapable of concentrating or answering any question.”

Messaoudi said his client, who appeared Thursday for a hearing before the Casablanca appeals court, had lost around 30 kilos (66 pounds) since his arrest in May 2020. But a judge dismissed concern over Raissouni’s health, saying that a doctor had declared the journalist to be in a “general good state”, and postponed the start of his trial to June 10.

On Tuesday, media watchdog Reporters Without Borders (RSF) urged Morocco’s King Mohammed VI to “use his influence” to secure the release of Raissouni, as well as fellow jailed journalist Omar Radi. Radi also began a hunger strike in April, but he suspended it three weeks later, due to what his father said at the time was a “significant deterioration” of his health.

Known for his human rights work, Radi was placed in pre-trial detention last July, charged with receiving foreign funds for the purpose of harming “state security”, the justice ministry had said. He is also accused separately of rape, and denies all the charges against him. Supporters say both cases are part of a defamation campaign targeting journalists and rights activists critical of Moroccan authorities.

AFP
The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Algeria and Niger Restore Ties, Signaling a Shift in Sahel DiplomacyF

Algeria and Niger restored diplomatic relations after nearly a year of tensions triggered by regional security disputes. The return of ambassadors and a planned high-level visit signal renewed cooperation centered on energy development, border security, and regional trade. The rapprochement highlights the strategic importance of the Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline and reflects broader efforts to stabilize partnerships across the Sahel amid ongoing security and economic pressures.

French Interior Minister Renews Dialogue with AlgeriaF

French Interior Minister Laurent Nunez’s announced visit to Algiers marks a formal attempt to restart diplomatic engagement between France and Algeria after a period of strained relations. Discussions are expected to focus on security cooperation in the Sahel, the handling of deportation orders affecting Algerian nationals, and the case of imprisoned journalist Christophe Gleize. The visit takes place amid shifting regional dynamics, including Algeria’s growing role in Sahel security arrangements and recent signals of economic and political goodwill between the two countries.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.