Sahel Edition

Niger: Soldiers and insurgents killed in new clash near Burkina Faso borderF

Posted On 17 October 2023

Number of times this article was read : 3184

Niger’s military regime said Tuesday that six soldiers and 31 “terrorists” had been killed in fighting in a restive region plagued by insurgents linked with Al-Qaeda and the Islamic State group. Clashes between armed forces and “terrorist elements” broke out in the western Tillaberi region near Burkina Faso between Sunday and Monday, the defence ministry said. Eighteen soldiers were also injured, it added in a statement. Tillaberi is in the vast and unstable “three borders” region between Niger, Mali and Burkina Faso, where jihadist insurgents have carried out attacks for years.

The latest fighting, which erupted in an area northwest of the town of Tera, follows several other deadly attacks in the region in recent weeks. At the start of the month, Niger held three days of national mourning after 29 soldiers were killed in a suspected jihadist attack, the deadliest since the military took power in July.

Niger is battling two jihadist insurgencies — a spillover in its southeast from a long-running conflict in neighbouring Nigeria, and an offensive in the west by militants crossing from Mali and Burkina Faso. When military leaders overthrew democratically elected president Mohamed Bazoum on July 26, they cited the deterioration of the security situation in the country as justification.

AFP

More on the Sahel

Algeria and Niger Restore Ties, Signaling a Shift in Sahel DiplomacyF

Algeria and Niger restored diplomatic relations after nearly a year of tensions triggered by regional security disputes. The return of ambassadors and a planned high-level visit signal renewed cooperation centered on energy development, border security, and regional trade. The rapprochement highlights the strategic importance of the Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline and reflects broader efforts to stabilize partnerships across the Sahel amid ongoing security and economic pressures.

Niger: Roadside Bomb Kills Civilians Near Baroua in Diffa Region

A mixed passenger and cargo vehicle hit an improvised explosive device near Baroua in Niger’s Diffa region, killing at least eight people and injuring others. The attack highlights how mines and roadside bombs are tightening the squeeze on civilians across the Sahel, disrupting travel, trade, and basic access to services.

The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.
Shield and Alert Sahel