MEA RISK’s SHIELD & ALERT notifications: Access requires installing Shield & Alert mobile application. More info on S&A here or click here to signup and install

Nigeria: Questions Mount Over U.S. Airstrikes in Northern Nigeria$

By Leslie Varenne, MondAfrique: The American strikes carried out in Nigeria on Christmas Day raise serious questions. Beyond the confusion surrounding the objectives of the operation, inconsistencies in official statements, and the unclear nature of the targets, the...

Nigeria grapples with end of fuel subsidyF

By Alexandre Martins Lopes: Nigerians are struggling with surging fuel prices after newly elected President Bola Tinubu declared an end to popular subsidies, a move analysts and experts said was long overdue. On his first day in office, Tinubu kept to his campaign...

Nigeria: Islamic State releases video showing execution of five Nigerian menF

Posted On 23 July 2020

Jihadists have killed five aid workers abducted last month in restive northeast Nigeria, group Action Against Hunger said Wednesday. The announcement came after insurgents affiliated to the so-called Islamic State group released a video online purporting to show the execution of the five Nigerian men. “It is with profound grief that we confirm the murder of Ishaku Yakubu,

Action Against Hunger (ACF) staff member from Monguno, and four other aid workers,” the French-based aid group said. It said the humanitarian workers “were taken hostage by a non-state armed group in Borno State, northeast Nigeria, on June 8”. “This unjustifiable killing reflects the immense difficulty faced by independent and impartial humanitarian actors, and the violence we are exposed to every day to fulfil our mission,” ACF said.

Aid group International Rescue Committee (IRC) confirmed that one of its employees was also among those killed. “The IRC strongly condemns the senseless execution of our colleague, Luka Filibus, and his fellow humanitarian captives,” it said. “We condemn this barbaric treatment and demand the immediate return of his remains to his family.”

Humanitarian workers have been repeatedly targeted by jihadist groups waging a decade-long insurgency in northeast Nigeria. Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari expressed his sympathy “for the families of the five aid workers” and pledged the jihadists would be “wiped out completely”. “Security agencies in the state will work closely with their organisations to implement measures to ensure that no such kidnapping of staff occurs again,” a statement from the presidency said.

The 10-year conflict in northeast Nigeria has killed 36,000 people and displaced about two million from their homes. Last year fighters from the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) faction abducted a group of six humanitarian workers — including a female ACF employee — in the region. Five of the hostages were later executed and the ACF worker remains in captivity.

ISWAP splintered from jihadist group Boko Haram in 2016 and swore allegiance to then IS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. Aid groups provide a vital lifeline for some 7.9 million people who the United Nations says are in need of urgent assistance in the region.

AFP

Recent News from Nigeria

Nigeria Adjusts Airstrike Strategy Under Expanded U.S. Security Cooperation$

Nigeria is modifying how it conducts air operations against armed groups under a revised security arrangement with the United States. The new framework places greater emphasis on U.S. intelligence and reconnaissance support while shifting operational responsibility to Nigerian forces. The approach reflects Abuja’s effort to balance external assistance with domestic control amid ongoing security challenges in the country’s northwest.

Nigeria: Questions Mount Over U.S. Airstrikes in Northern Nigeria$

The U.S. airstrikes carried out in northern Nigeria on Christmas Day have triggered confusion and skepticism across the region. Conflicting statements from Washington and Abuja, uncertainty over the identity of the targeted groups, and reports from strike locations where no militants were found have raised serious questions about the operation’s objectives. In an already fragile security environment, the lack of clarity risks adding instability rather than addressing Nigeria’s complex security challenges.

Shield and Alert Nigeria