Sahel Edition

Sahel: Attack kills dozen soldiers in the troubled Bourzanga region of northern BurkinaF

Posted On 5 August 2022

Number of times this article was read : 542

Suspected jihadists in northern Burkina Faso have killed four soldiers and nine civilian auxiliaries, the army said on Friday.  The attack on Thursday by “an armed terrorist group” in Bourzanga district also wounded 10 others, military headquarters said in a statement.  “At least 34 terrorists” were killed, it said.  Security sources and an official with the auxiliary VDP militia had earlier reported simultaneous attacks in Bourzanga, and given a death toll of three soldiers and nine auxiliaries.

The landlocked Sahel state is wrestling with a seven-year-old jihadist insurgency that has claimed thousands of lives and driven some two million people from their homes.  More than 40 percent of the country is no longer under government control, according to official figures.  Colonels staged a coup in January and have vowed to restore security.   But after a lull, attacks resumed and have escalated in recent months. On June 11, 86 people were massacred at Seytenga in the northwest, in one of the bloodiest acts of the long-running insurgency.  Thirty-four villagers were killed on July 2 and 3 in the north and northwest.

The VDP — Volunteers for the Defence of the Fatherland — has borne the brunt of attacks on the security forces.   The force, set up in December 2019, comprises civilian volunteers who are given two weeks’ military training and then work alongside the army, typically carrying out surveillance, information-gathering or escort duties.   A VDP source said that in the latest attack in Bourzanga district, six militiamen were killed in the village of Alga and three in Boulounga, while “several attackers were also killed.”

The Seytenga attack prompted the authorities to set up two “zones of military interest” in the worst-hit regions of the north and east.  The idea is to have zones that are banned for civilians, giving the armed forces freer range to attack jihadists. But on Wednesday, the army admitted that civilians had been killed during an air strike in the east.  It gave no toll, but local inhabitants told AFP that about 30 people, most of them women who had gone to attend ceremonies to inaugurate a mill, had died.

AFP

More on the Sahel

Sudan’s Army Gains Ground in Kordofan as War Strains Power and Food Systems$

Sudan’s army is gaining ground in North Kordofan, securing key transport routes that could support a broader push west toward Darfur. But battlefield advances are unfolding alongside a deepening national crisis, with power grid failures, disrupted agriculture and local conflicts compounding the country’s instability. But this latest military momentum is unlikely to resolve Sudan’s widening humanitarian and infrastructure challenges.

Sahel: Niger Emerges as Key Battleground as JNIM and Islamic State Collide$

A defection, a blood feud, and overlapping territorial ambitions are pushing JNIM and the Islamic State Sahel Province into direct competition across western Niger. The outcome around the region of Dosso could determine whether Sahelian jihadist violence stays fragmented — or consolidates into a wider regional arc.

The Nigeria Precedent: Why Degrading One Group Won’t Secure Mali$

The Nigeria Precedent: Why Degrading One Group Won’t Secure Mali$

Seven months into an air campaign against ISWAP and Boko Haram, Nigeria’s broader insecurity crisis remains largely untouched. As Washington weighs a similar strike option against JNIM in Mali, the Nigeria case raises hard questions about what airpower can actually buy.