Sahel Edition

Sahel: Jihadists looking to expand beyond Sahel: 9 dead , including French national in north Benin ambushF

Posted On 9 February 2022

Number of times this article was read : 556

Update: Benin attacks toll rises to nine, including Frenchman

Nine people including a Frenchman were killed this week in attacks in a national park in Benin’s remote north bordering troubled Niger and Burkina Faso, according to a government update. The toll was the deadliest in recent attacks Benin has suffered as coastal West African states face spillover from Sahel countries battling jihadists. An African Parks patrol flushing out poachers and another patrol hit two improvised explosive devices on Tuesday, killing five park rangers, one park official, one soldier and a French trainer who was with them, the Benin government said in a statement late Thursday. A third reconnaissance patrol also hit another explosive on Thursday, killing another African Parks official, it said. “The government wishes to reassure the population that… our strategy will secure this critical area,” a statement said after an emergency cabinet meeting.

African Parks, which manages the wildlife reserve in the north of Benin, had said on Wednesday six people were killed in an attack. France said on Thursday it had opened an investigation a 50-year-old national was among those killed in a “terrorist attack in Park W in northern Benin”. No group has claimed responsibility but Benin’s military has increased its presence in the area following two attacks late last year that military sources blamed on jihadists from across the border.

Benin had long been one of the more stable countries in West Africa, where Islamic State and al Qaeda militants threaten Sahel countries. Criminal smuggling gangs also operate along its frontier. In January, two Benin soldiers were killed when their vehicle hit an improvised explosive in the northern Atakora region. The W national park, which extends over Benin, Burkina Faso and Niger, is attached to the  Pendjari park where two French tourists were kidnapped by gunmen in 2019.


Original article:

Five park rangers and a soldier have been killed in an ambush in a wildlife reserve in northern Benin near the border with Burkina Faso and Niger, its management said Wednesday. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack on Tuesday, which staff said also wounded 10 other people. But a jihadist insurgency originating in the Sahel region has spread to parts of coastal West Africa, including to northern Benin.

“Yesterday… a team of rangers was ambushed in W National Park in Benin,” said African Parks, a non-profit group that has managed the park since 2020. They were conducting a patrol at the northern limit of the park where it intersects with Burkina Faso and Niger, it added. “Initial reports indicate that… five rangers and one member of the Benin Armed Forces have been killed, with 10 more injured,” it said. African Parks said military reinforcements and additional rangers had been deployed to the area, but Beninese authorities did not immediately comment on the incident.

Benin’s army has reinforced its presence in the north since what military sources said were the first two jihadist attacks in the country late last year. Last month, two Beninese soldiers were killed when their vehicle hit a makeshift bomb in the country’s northern Atakora area.

AFP

More on the Sahel

Sudan’s Army Gains Ground in Kordofan as War Strains Power and Food Systems$

Sudan’s army is gaining ground in North Kordofan, securing key transport routes that could support a broader push west toward Darfur. But battlefield advances are unfolding alongside a deepening national crisis, with power grid failures, disrupted agriculture and local conflicts compounding the country’s instability. But this latest military momentum is unlikely to resolve Sudan’s widening humanitarian and infrastructure challenges.

Sahel: Niger Emerges as Key Battleground as JNIM and Islamic State Collide$

A defection, a blood feud, and overlapping territorial ambitions are pushing JNIM and the Islamic State Sahel Province into direct competition across western Niger. The outcome around the region of Dosso could determine whether Sahelian jihadist violence stays fragmented — or consolidates into a wider regional arc.

The Nigeria Precedent: Why Degrading One Group Won’t Secure Mali$

The Nigeria Precedent: Why Degrading One Group Won’t Secure Mali$

Seven months into an air campaign against ISWAP and Boko Haram, Nigeria’s broader insecurity crisis remains largely untouched. As Washington weighs a similar strike option against JNIM in Mali, the Nigeria case raises hard questions about what airpower can actually buy.