North Africa’s Security

Security | Defense | Terrorism

Washington Returns to Libya’s Frontlines in Bid to Counter Russia and Reunify Militias$

Washington Returns to Libya’s Frontlines in Bid to Counter Russia and Reunify Militias$

The United States is reengaging in Libya through Flintlock 2026, a major U.S. Africa Command exercise set for next spring near Sirte. The training will bring together Libya’s rival eastern and western forces for the first time since 2011, signaling a renewed American role in efforts to unify the country’s military, counter extremist threats, and curb Russian influence in North Africa.

SECURITY & DEFENSE

Libya: Dozens killed in militia clashes in TripoliF

By Hamza Mekouar Flights resumed and shops re-opened in Libya's capital Tripoli on Sunday after clashes between backers of rival governments killed at least 32 people and sparked fears of major new conflict.  Armed groups had exchanged fire that damaged several...

Sahel: Togo confronted with Jihadi movement from the SahelF

Togo's armed forces said Tuesday they had repelled a "terrorist" attack that injured "several" soldiers in the far northern village of Blamonga on the border with Burkina Faso. The attack, which took place on Monday, was the fifth in the country since last year, as...

Libya in turmoil again as tensions escalateF

The United Nations on Tuesday voiced "deep concern" over growing tensions between rival Libyan forces, calling for "immediate" moves to calm the situation. The UN's mission UNSMIL said it was "following with deep concern the ongoing mobilisation of forces and threats...

Sahel: Crisis in Mali enters Senegal’s presidential politicsF

Senegal's army says it is standing by the country's commitments to the UN's peacekeeping mission in neighbouring Mali, after an opposition leader suggested it was withdrawing. The West African state is one of the biggest contributors to the MINUSMA force in Mali,...

Sahel: Germany says Russian troops may be present in MaliF

German soldiers in Mali spotted several dozen suspected Russian security forces in the city of Gao just as the last French soldiers left the country, the German government said Wednesday. The German ambassador in Bamako has contacted Mali's foreign minister about "the...

Sahel: France wraps up military withdrawal from MaliF

By Selim Saheb Ettaba and Joris Fioriti   The last soldiers belonging to France's  Barkhane operation in Mali have now left the African country, the French chiefs of staff said on Monday.  French forces have been supporting Mali against insurgents for nearly a decade,...

INSURGENCIES & TERRORISM

Sahel: Village in Burkina Faso’s Sahel region attacked, 18 killedF

Ouagadougou, Feb 3, 2020 - Suspected jihadists have killed 18 civilians in an attack in northern Burkina Faso, the governor of Sahel region said. "The defence and security forces brought back the body of the nurse to give it to her family in Yalgo and secure the area...

Egypt: Islamic State claims attack on pipeline in SinaiF

Cairo, Feb 3, 2020 - The Islamic State group said on Monday it blew up a gas pipeline in Egypt's restive Sinai Peninsula, claiming it was connected to Israel. Security sources earlier said the pipeline hit was a domestic one that connects to a power station in...

Analysis: Northern half of Africa bracing for upheaval this yearF

MEA Risk LLC - 29 January 2020:  There has been a dangerous escalation of security risks and instability in the Maghreb and Sahel region since the start of 2020. War looks set to intensify in countries like Libya, Niger, Chad, Burkina Faso, Mali and others in the...

Sahel: Destabilization of Burkina Faso underwayF

Ouagadougou, Jan 28, 2020 (By Armel Baily) - Six soldiers were killed and several went missing Tuesday after a suspected jihadist attack in troubled Burkina Faso, following a weekend massacre which could have claimed up to 50 lives, security and local sources told...

US court sentences Libyan to 19 years in jail for Benghazi attackF

Washington, Jan 24, 2020 - A 47-year-old Libyan man who was captured by US special forces in Libya and brought to the United States for trial was sentenced to prison on Thursday for his role in the 2012 attack on the US mission in Benghazi. Mustafa al-Imam, who was...