Maghreb Edition

The latest development on Covid-19 [21 March update]F

Posted On 21 March 2020

Number of times this article was read : 461

March 21, 2020 – Here are the latest developments in the coronavirus crisis:

Nearly one billion people confined to homes

An estimated 900 million people are now confined to their homes in 35 countries around the world — including 600 million hemmed in by obligatory government lockdown orders — according to an AFP tally. Colombia will impose obligatory confinement on Tuesday evening. The same will begin across Tunisia on Sunday. In the United States, seven US states have issued orders to stay home — California, New York, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Connecticut and Nevada. In total, one in five people in the US are affected by stay-at-home orders.

More than 11,000 dead globally

More than 12,000 deaths have been recorded since the virus first emerged in December, according to an AFP tally compiled at 1900 GMT on Saturday based on official sources. There have been more than 32,485 infections reported in 165 countries and territories. Italy has recorded 4,825 deaths out of 53,578 cases, with 6,072 recoveries.  China has 81,008 cases, including 3,225 fatalities and 71,740 people recovered. The worst affected countries after Italy and China are Iran with 1,556 deaths, Spain with 1,326 deaths, and France with 562 deaths.

China: no domestic cases for third day

China reports no new local cases for a third consecutive day. The several dozen cases reported on Saturday are considered to have been infections brought in from other countries.

Toughening measures

Georgia and Kyrgyzstan declare nationwide states of emergency. Switzerland, which has so far not followed other countries in ordering full confinement, announces it will ban all gatherings of more than five people, and anyone standing closer than two metres to others risks a fine. Haiti, Dominican Republic, Jordan and Burkina Faso introduce curfews. In Iran however, supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and President Hassan Rouhani promise the country will overcome the outbreak but still refuse to impose heavy restrictions. Nigeria, the most populated country in Africa, tightens restrictions on places of worship, airports and bars.

Swimmers stay ashore

Sunbathers, surfers and tourists are banned from Australia’s famed Bondi Beach, and several more of the city’s swimming spots are closed. Rio de Janeiro’s beaches are also off-limits to sun-seekers from Saturday.

Borders closing

Cuba, which is largely dependent on its tourism revenue, will close its borders to non-residents on Tuesday, for 30 days. The Ivory Coast and Burkina Faso close their borders as of this weekend. Brazil will close its borders as of Monday to all visitors from Europe, Australia and several Asian countries.

Businesses hit

Smartphone shipments take a historic plunge in February, the industry tracker Strategy Analytics says, dropping to 61.8 million, a 38 percent dip from the same month a year earlier. Air Canada and Air Transat announce they will temporarily lay off some 7,000 staff. Boeing announces it will suspend its dividend until further notice and that
its chief executive and chairman will forgo pay until the end of the year. Guatemala announces a partial halt to industrial production as of Monday but says this will not affect food and pharmaceutical sectors.

By AFP
The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Trump Sends Controversial Envoy to South Africa at a Diplomatic Low Point

Leo Brent Bozell III has arrived in Pretoria as the new U.S. ambassador to South Africa, stepping into one of the most strained periods in bilateral relations in recent years. His appointment, amid disputes over Israel, Afrikaner rights allegations, and diplomatic expulsions, reflects a politically charged moment that could redefine the trajectory of U.S.–South Africa ties.

Morocco Detains Civic Activist Amid Online Speech Concerns

Moroccan authorities have detained Mohammed Khalif,a Casablanca-based member of the youth movement GenZ212, following a home search and seizure of his computer. Charges have not yet been publicly disclosed. His arrest comes days after another GenZ212 member was prosecuted over alleged online incitement, raising questions about the legal climate surrounding youth activism and digital expression in Morocco.

Tunisia: Arrest of Opposition Figure Olfa Hamdi Raises Concerns

A Tunisian civil liberties organization has called for transparency and the release of opposition party leader Olfa Hamdi following reports of her detention. With no formal statement issued by authorities several days after the alleged arrest, rights advocates say the silence raises concerns about due process and the state of political freedoms in Tunisia.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.