Maghreb Edition

Tunisia: Blocked border prevents Tunisians from returning homeF

Posted On 21 April 2020

Number of times this article was read : 437

Ras Jedir, Tunisia, April 21, 2020 – Hundreds of Tunisians stranded for weeks in war-racked Libya due to the coronavirus have returned home after forcing their way through a border crossing, the UN and aid groups said. Tunisia’s interior ministry denied that Tunisians on Monday had crossed the Ras Jedir border point using force, saying authorities at the frontier allowed 652 to enter from Libya. But the chief of mission for the International Organization for Migration in Libya, Federico Soda, said in a tweet: “Hundreds of Tunisian migrant workers who have been stranded on the Tunisia/Libya border for weeks have now forced their way into Tunisia.”  “Hundreds more are still waiting to return home in the absence of concrete action”, Soda said. Soda posted on his Twitter account a video showing droves of Tunisians carrying personal belongings. The video showed them wheeling carry-on luggage along a motorway towards the border and chanting.

Tunisia closed its border with Libya in March as part of measures to contain the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. The country is also under a night-time curfew. On Sunday, Prime Minister Elyes Fakhfakh said the lockdown would be extended to May 3 before it is progressively eased. According to human rights activist Mostapha Abdelkebir, around 1,300 Tunisians had massed close to the Ras Jedir border post since the lockdown was imposed in March demanding to be allowed back home.”Yesterday (Monday) 700 showed up, rather restless and making noise in a bid to force the police to let them through,” Abdelkebir said. Local Red Crescent official Abdelkarim Regai said Libyan authorities allowed the Tunisians nationals — some of who had been stranded there for weeks — to cross from their side of the border. “They are mostly workers, day labourers, who are facing a dire humanitarian situation,” Regai said.

A Tunisian diplomatic source estimated that around 20,000 Tunisians are still in Libya. The source expected authorities on both sides to allow more crossings ahead of the holy fasting month of Ramadan, which is expected to begin on Thursday. On Tuesday morning busses escorted by police left the border area with the Tunisians on board to ferry them back to their region of origin, an AFP correspondent said. The interior ministry said they would be sent to quarantine centres before being allowed home. Since the country confirmed its first case of the respiratory disease in early March, Tunisia has declared 38 deaths among 884 confirmed infections. Thousands of Tunisians have been stranded abroad due to the pandemic and
their homeward movement was due to be discussed during a cabinet meeting on Tuesday.

AFP

Subscribe to Urgent Notifications and Newsletter

Most Recent Stories from the Region

North African Countries Among World’s Cheapest for Gasoline, Lead Global Rankings$

North African countries currently rank among the cheapest places in the world to buy gasoline, according to international price data published in late April 2026. The global average pump price for gasoline stood at around $1.49 per liter, while several North African producers were charging less than half that level. Libya, Algeria and Egypt all sit among the most affordable markets globally — though two non-African countries, Venezuela and Iran, rank between Libya and the rest of the African group in the worldwide table.

Libya: A drifting Russian gas tanker threatens the Mediterranean$

Since March 3, 2026, the Russian LNG tanker Arctic Metagaz, 277 meters long, has been drifting off the Libyan coast. Loaded with 62,000 tons of liquefied natural gas (LNG), 900 tons of diesel, and 450 tons of heavy fuel oil, it poses the risk of an environmental disaster for the Mediterranean basin. Amid repeated failures to tow the vessel, accusations of Ukrainian sabotage, and the powerlessness of Libyan authorities, the Mediterranean is on high alert.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.