Maghreb Edition

Tunisia: Football star Nizar Issaoui sets himself alight to protest police brutalityF

Posted On 17 April 2023

Number of times this article was read : 1100

A professional footballer in Tunisia has died after setting himself alight earlier this week in what he called a protest against the “police state” ruling the country, his brother said Friday. Nizar Issaoui, 35, suffered third-degree burns from his action in the village of Haffouz in the central region of Kairouan, his brother Ryad told AFP.  He was taken from hospital in Kairouan to the specialist burns hospital in the capital Tunis, but doctors were unable to save his life, the brother said. “He died yesterday (Thursday) and will be buried today.”

Issaoui’s protest recalled that of street vendor Mohamed Bouazizi, who burned himself to death on December 17, 2010, sparking the Tunisian revolution that was the trigger for the Arab Spring uprisings which toppled authoritarian regimes across the Middle East.

News of Issaoui’s death sparked protests on the streets of Haffouz on Thursday evening, Tunisian media reported. Young demonstrators hurled stones at police who responded with tear gas. There was no immediate comment from the authorities. On Friday, hundreds of mourners gathered outside Issaoui’s house awaiting his funeral, shouting: “With our blood and with our soul we will sacrifice ourselves for you, Nizar”. During his funeral, clashes broke out between protesters and the police, who fired tear gas, local media reported.

Issaoui was a free agent at the time of his death, after a career that saw him play for a range of clubs from the lower divisions to the top flight. In a Facebook post shortly before his fatal action, Issaoui said he had sentenced himself to “death by fire”. “I have no more energy. Let the police state know that the sentence will be executed today,” he wrote. According to Tunisian media, Issaoui decided to make his extreme protest against the police after officers accused him of “terrorism” when he complained that he was unable to buy bananas for less than 10 dinars ($3.30) a kilogramme, double the price set by the government.

A video selfie circulating on social media shows Issaoui screaming: “For a dispute with someone selling bananas at 10 dinars, I get accused of terrorism at the police station. Terrorism for a complaint about bananas.”

AFP

Subscribe to Urgent Notifications and Newsletter

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Algeria-France Trade Drops 23% with Import and Energy Curbs$

Trade between Algeria and France fell by roughly 23% in the year ending June 2026, dropping below €9 billion as import controls and political tensions reshape the relationship. Algeria’s tighter oversight of foreign purchases has sharply reduced French exports—particularly in food, automotive equipment, and industrial goods—while energy-driven exports to France also declined. The figures point to a broader shift as Algeria diversifies suppliers and reduces reliance on its former primary trading partner.

Morocco Faces Balancing Test Over Potential Gaza Security Role$

A reported plan for a Moroccan military outpost in Gaza is raising questions about Rabat’s regional strategy. While participation in a multinational stabilization force could be framed as humanitarian and security support, a visible troop presence inside an Israeli-controlled area risks political backlash at home and abroad. The proposal highlights the tension between Morocco’s ties to Israel and its longstanding positioning as a supporter of Palestinian interests.

Sudan’s Army Gains Ground in Kordofan as War Strains Power and Food Systems$

Sudan’s army is gaining ground in North Kordofan, securing key transport routes that could support a broader push west toward Darfur. But battlefield advances are unfolding alongside a deepening national crisis, with power grid failures, disrupted agriculture and local conflicts compounding the country’s instability. But this latest military momentum is unlikely to resolve Sudan’s widening humanitarian and infrastructure challenges.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.