Maghreb Edition

Tunisia: Islamist media and a candidate TV banned from covering election campaignF

Posted On 23 August 2019

Number of times this article was read : 295

Tunis, Aug 23, 2019 – Tunisian electoral and media authorities have banned three local outlets from covering the presidential election campaign, including a channel founded by key candidate Nabil Karoui. The ban targets media mogul Karoui’s Nessma TV, alongside Zitouna — a broadcaster close to the Islamist-inspired Ennahdha party — and Radio Quran. “It is not permitted for candidates in the presidential election… (to) conduct their electoral campaigns through these channels, who do not hold licenses and broadcast illegally”, Nouri Lajmi, head of the High Independent Authority of the Audiovisual Commission (HAICA), told AFP on Friday. The ban was agreed jointly by HAIFA and the Independent Higher Authority for Elections (ISIE), Lajmi said.

The campaign is set to take place from September 2 to September 13 and the poll itself is scheduled for September 15. Established in 2012 to regulate Tunisian media, HAICA has been fighting for months to impose the law on the three outlets. Nessma TV, one of the leading channels in the country, was banned from broadcasting by HAICA in October 2018 but did not comply and remains on air. HAICA accuses Nessma TV of “positioning itself to influence government bodies”, and rebuked it for not having disclosed its shareholders, reputedly including Italian politician Silvio Berlusconi.

In April, HAICA seized equipment from the channel. Karoui, a leading candidate in the election, was charged in early July with money laundering. He says he is being targeted by “attempts to undermine his growing popularity”. Zitouna and Radio Quran are under scrutiny for lack of financial transparency, in particular as they do not report any advertising revenue, according to HAICA. The popular uprising in 2011 that ousted dictator Zine El Abidine Ben Ali opened up space for the previously largely muzzled media. Originally scheduled for November, the elections were brought forward after the death last month of incumbent Beji Caid Essebsi.

By AFP

The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Trump Sends Controversial Envoy to South Africa at a Diplomatic Low PointF

Leo Brent Bozell III has arrived in Pretoria as the new U.S. ambassador to South Africa, stepping into one of the most strained periods in bilateral relations in recent years. His appointment, amid disputes over Israel, Afrikaner rights allegations, and diplomatic expulsions, reflects a politically charged moment that could redefine the trajectory of U.S.–South Africa ties.

Algeria and Niger Relaunch Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline After Diplomatic FreezeF

Algeria and Niger have ended months of strained relations and announced the operational launch of the Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline, a 4,000-kilometer project linking Nigerian gas fields to European markets through Niger and Algeria. The move signals both a diplomatic reset and a renewed push to position North Africa as a strategic energy corridor.

Morocco Detains Civic Activist Amid Online Speech ConcernsF

Moroccan authorities have detained Mohammed Khalif,a Casablanca-based member of the youth movement GenZ212, following a home search and seizure of his computer. Charges have not yet been publicly disclosed. His arrest comes days after another GenZ212 member was prosecuted over alleged online incitement, raising questions about the legal climate surrounding youth activism and digital expression in Morocco.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.