Maghreb Edition

Tunisia: Presidential candidate Nabil Karoui released from prison, campaign to intensifyF

Posted On 10 October 2019

Number of times this article was read : 269

Tunis, Oct 10, 2019  – Tunisian presidential hopeful Nabil Karoui said Thursday he will “wage battle and win” a weekend runoff against a political newcomer, a day after the business tycoon was released from jail. “There is a day or two left but we will wage the battle and we will win,” he said, a day before campaigning wraps up for Sunday’s election.

Karoui had been detained since August over a money laundering probe and tax evasion. He was released on Wednesday to a hero’s welcome from his supporters following a decision by the Court of Cassation. “Yesterday, the judicial system set me free. The independent judicial system… there was no deal (for my release),” he told reporters and supporters outside the headquarters of his Qalb Tounes party.

The 56-year-old had described his incarceration as a “political” move. “I had hoped that the elections would be pushed back by a week,” he said of Sunday’s runoff. His return to the political arena as a free man comes at a time of uncertainty for the country hailed as the sole democratic success story of the Arab Spring. Karoui will face conservative law professor Kais Saeid in the runoff, and the pair are expected to take part in a one-on-one television debate on Friday night. His chances of wooing voters got a boost from parliamentary elections held on Sunday. Qalb Tounes came second with 38 seats, behind the Islamist-inspired Ennahdha party which won 52 out of 217 seats in the national assembly — far short of the 109 needed to govern. “I thank the Tunisian people for the trust they put in me despite the defamation campaign of which I was the victim,” Karoui said. “This trust helped me reach the finals and become the second force in parliament,” he added.

Karoui said his party has grown to include half a million members since he was jailed — up from 1,000 — and he was happy to be back among his political “family”. “I wish to thank the judges who are honourable people and who set me free despite political pressure… they realised that I had suffered from injustice,” he added. One of his lawyers, Nazih Soui, has said that although Karoui is now “free” he still remains under investigation. A former executive for Colgate-Palmolive who launced a media agency with his brother in 2002, Karoui presents himself as a candidate for the poor. He burnished his reputation in recent years with a charity show on a TV channel that he founded, travelling the country to hear grievances and distributing aid to needy families.

By AFP

The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Trump Sends Controversial Envoy to South Africa at a Diplomatic Low PointF

Leo Brent Bozell III has arrived in Pretoria as the new U.S. ambassador to South Africa, stepping into one of the most strained periods in bilateral relations in recent years. His appointment, amid disputes over Israel, Afrikaner rights allegations, and diplomatic expulsions, reflects a politically charged moment that could redefine the trajectory of U.S.–South Africa ties.

Algeria and Niger Relaunch Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline After Diplomatic FreezeF

Algeria and Niger have ended months of strained relations and announced the operational launch of the Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline, a 4,000-kilometer project linking Nigerian gas fields to European markets through Niger and Algeria. The move signals both a diplomatic reset and a renewed push to position North Africa as a strategic energy corridor.

Morocco Detains Civic Activist Amid Online Speech ConcernsF

Moroccan authorities have detained Mohammed Khalif,a Casablanca-based member of the youth movement GenZ212, following a home search and seizure of his computer. Charges have not yet been publicly disclosed. His arrest comes days after another GenZ212 member was prosecuted over alleged online incitement, raising questions about the legal climate surrounding youth activism and digital expression in Morocco.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.