Maghreb Edition

Tunisian oil workers kidnapped in Libya freedF

Posted On 18 February 2019

Number of times this article was read : 326

Tripoli, Feb 17, 2019 – Fourteen Tunisian oil workers kidnapped in Libya were freed Sunday night after three days in captivity and are in good health, the Tunisian consul in country said. Armed men seized the 14 Tunisians from a bus on Thursday as they were heading to work at an oil refinery in Zawiya, just to the west of the Libyan capital. The consul, Taoufik al-Guesmi, did not disclose the conditions for the release of the workers, whose abductors had demanded a man jailed in Tunisia be released from prison. But a security source in Zawiya confirmed the news of their release, saying
the hostages had been freed in an operation carried out by the town’s security forces.

The forces “stormed the place where they were being held and were able to release them without fighting, no casualties,” Thamer Mounir, head of the
media section of the Zawiya security service, told AFP. Mounir was unable to say if any arrests had taken place. Earlier Sunday, in a video posted on social media, the kidnappers had demanded the release of a man jailed in Tunisia for drug trafficking. The video, verified by a Tunisian source close to the case, showed the abductees identifying themselves and naming their hometowns while sitting on mattresses. The last one then says that the people holding them want the release of Libyan Kamal al-Lafi al-Hijaoui, adding that he and the other abductees were “in good health”.

A Tunisian source said Hijaoui had been sentenced this month in Tunisia to 20 months in prison for drug trafficking. Zawiya is held by armed groups, including some who are involved in people-smuggling rings or the contraband sale of fuel. Abductions are common in Libya, which has been mired in chaos since the fall of dictator Moamer Kadhafi in a 2011 NATO-backed uprising. The kidnappings are usually carried out by armed groups which demand a ransom. In June 2015, 10 Tunisian consular staff were abducted by a militia. They were eventually released in exchange for one of its members who was held in Tunis. Libya’s interior ministry has set up a “crisis cell” in response to the latest abductions.

By AFP

The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Trump Sends Controversial Envoy to South Africa at a Diplomatic Low PointF

Leo Brent Bozell III has arrived in Pretoria as the new U.S. ambassador to South Africa, stepping into one of the most strained periods in bilateral relations in recent years. His appointment, amid disputes over Israel, Afrikaner rights allegations, and diplomatic expulsions, reflects a politically charged moment that could redefine the trajectory of U.S.–South Africa ties.

Morocco Detains Civic Activist Amid Online Speech ConcernsF

Moroccan authorities have detained Mohammed Khalif,a Casablanca-based member of the youth movement GenZ212, following a home search and seizure of his computer. Charges have not yet been publicly disclosed. His arrest comes days after another GenZ212 member was prosecuted over alleged online incitement, raising questions about the legal climate surrounding youth activism and digital expression in Morocco.

Tunisia: Arrest of Opposition Figure Olfa Hamdi Raises ConcernsF

A Tunisian civil liberties organization has called for transparency and the release of opposition party leader Olfa Hamdi following reports of her detention. With no formal statement issued by authorities several days after the alleged arrest, rights advocates say the silence raises concerns about due process and the state of political freedoms in Tunisia.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.