Maghreb Edition

Tunisia’s president sued for abuse of powerF

Posted On 15 January 2019

Number of times this article was read : 237

Tunis, Jan 15, 2019 – Anti-corruption campaigners have filed a lawsuit accusing Tunisian President Beji Caid Essebsi of abuse of power after he pardoned a jailed party official close to his son, a court official said Tuesday. Borhane Bsaies, a communications official during the rule of dictator Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, joined Essebsi’s Nidaa Tounes party after the 2011 revolution that toppled Ben Ali and sparked the Arab Spring uprisings. Last October, Bsaies was sentenced to two years in prison after being found guilty of taking improper payments during Ben Ali’s rule.

A Ben Ali aide with massive influence over journalists prior to the revolution, Bsaies had been accused of receiving an income both from the education ministry and from a “false job” at Tunisian telecoms firm Sotetel, which is illegal under Tunisian law. But in November, Bsaeis, who is close to Essebsi’s son and Nidaa Tounes leader Hafedh Caid Essebsi, was pardoned by the president. That prompted transparency NGO Al-Bawsala, anti-graft group I-Watch and Thameur Mekki, the editor-in-chief of news website Nawaat, to lodge a formal complaint. An administrative court confirmed to AFP that “legal action has been taken against the amnesty granted by the Tunisian president to Borhane Bsaies.”

Court spokesman Imed Ghabri said the case would be examined soon, without giving further details. The plaintiffs announced they had lodged the complaint in a joint statement released on Monday, the eighth anniversary of Ben Ali’s departure into exile. Essebsi’s pardon was “motivated by partisan interests that run counter to… the values of justice, equity and good governance, in a Tunisia that is riddled with corruption,” they wrote.

Tunisia’s first democratically elected president, 92-year-old Essebsi has been accused of seeking to bring back certain practices that were common under Ben Ali — something he has always denied. The North African country is set to hold parliamentary and presidential elections at the end of the year.  Essebsi has yet to announce whether he will seek a second term.

By AFP

The North Africa Journal's WhatsApp Group
.

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Trump Sends Controversial Envoy to South Africa at a Diplomatic Low PointF

Leo Brent Bozell III has arrived in Pretoria as the new U.S. ambassador to South Africa, stepping into one of the most strained periods in bilateral relations in recent years. His appointment, amid disputes over Israel, Afrikaner rights allegations, and diplomatic expulsions, reflects a politically charged moment that could redefine the trajectory of U.S.–South Africa ties.

Algeria and Niger Relaunch Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline After Diplomatic FreezeF

Algeria and Niger have ended months of strained relations and announced the operational launch of the Trans-Saharan Gas Pipeline, a 4,000-kilometer project linking Nigerian gas fields to European markets through Niger and Algeria. The move signals both a diplomatic reset and a renewed push to position North Africa as a strategic energy corridor.

Morocco Detains Civic Activist Amid Online Speech ConcernsF

Moroccan authorities have detained Mohammed Khalif,a Casablanca-based member of the youth movement GenZ212, following a home search and seizure of his computer. Charges have not yet been publicly disclosed. His arrest comes days after another GenZ212 member was prosecuted over alleged online incitement, raising questions about the legal climate surrounding youth activism and digital expression in Morocco.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.