Maghreb Edition

Egypt: Scores killed during insurgent attempt to raid military site in SinaiF

Posted On 10 February 2020

Number of times this article was read : 431

Cairo, Feb 9, 2020 – Militants killed and wounded seven Egyptian soldiers in restive North Sinai on Sunday, Egypt’s military said. The army said it “foiled” an attack on security facilities, “killing 10 terrorists and destroying a four-wheel drive used by the terrorist elements.” The casualties were of various ranks including two officers, according to the brief statement posted to the military’s Facebook page on Sunday.

Egypt has struggled to contain an insurgency in North Sinai that escalated after the military’s 2013 ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi following mass protests. In February 2018, Egyptian security forces launched a nationwide, large-scale operation against militants, mainly focused on North Sinai. Earlier this month, the Islamic State group claimed it blew up a gas pipeline in Sinai connecting Egypt to Israel. Security sources said the pipeline hit was a domestic one. More than 840 suspected militants have been killed in the region since February 2018, according to army figures. Some 67 security personnel have also been killed.

By AFP

Subscribe to Urgent Notifications and Newsletter

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Algeria-France Trade Drops 23% with Import and Energy Curbs$

Trade between Algeria and France fell by roughly 23% in the year ending June 2026, dropping below €9 billion as import controls and political tensions reshape the relationship. Algeria’s tighter oversight of foreign purchases has sharply reduced French exports—particularly in food, automotive equipment, and industrial goods—while energy-driven exports to France also declined. The figures point to a broader shift as Algeria diversifies suppliers and reduces reliance on its former primary trading partner.

Morocco Faces Balancing Test Over Potential Gaza Security Role$

A reported plan for a Moroccan military outpost in Gaza is raising questions about Rabat’s regional strategy. While participation in a multinational stabilization force could be framed as humanitarian and security support, a visible troop presence inside an Israeli-controlled area risks political backlash at home and abroad. The proposal highlights the tension between Morocco’s ties to Israel and its longstanding positioning as a supporter of Palestinian interests.

Sudan’s Army Gains Ground in Kordofan as War Strains Power and Food Systems$

Sudan’s army is gaining ground in North Kordofan, securing key transport routes that could support a broader push west toward Darfur. But battlefield advances are unfolding alongside a deepening national crisis, with power grid failures, disrupted agriculture and local conflicts compounding the country’s instability. But this latest military momentum is unlikely to resolve Sudan’s widening humanitarian and infrastructure challenges.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.