Maghreb Edition

Libya uses drones to attack smugglers in west of the countryF

Posted On 2 June 2023

Number of times this article was read : 1287

Forces of Libya’s Tripoli-based government launched drone strikes against suspected smuggling sites in the country’s west Friday as they pursued a campaign begun over a week ago, local media reported. “Strikes targeted Zuwara” some 120 kilometres (75 miles) west of the capital near the border with Tunisia, broadcaster Libya al-Ahrar reported. It aired footage of thick columns of smoke rising from two sites in the city, a departure point for migrants trying to reach Europe illegally.

On May 25, the defence ministry of the Tripoli-based Government of National Unity said it had begun a major military operation against “gangs of fuel, narcotics and human traffickers” in western coastal areas. On Tuesday, a statement from the ministry announced that the first phase of the campaign had been successful. It said “seven migrant smuggling boats, six drug trafficking depots… and nine tanker trucks used for fuel smuggling” had been destroyed. The operation has continued despite claims of political score-settling in a divided country with two rival authorities, the UN-backed GNU headed by Abdulhamid Dbeibah and a rival administration in the east.

Oil-rich Libya was plunged into years of chaos after a NATO-backed uprising toppled and killed strongman Moamer Kadhafi in 2011. Armed groups have exploited the turmoil to fund their activities through fuel smuggling and the illegal trafficking of migrants. The current operation has so far been limited to drone strikes. The first targets were sites in Zawiya, 45 kilometres west of Tripoli. Media reports said the towns of Al-Maya and Ajelat, both west of the capital, were also targeted. Dbeibah, who is also defence minister, hailed the accuracy of the drone strikes in footage broadcast on Thursday of a meeting he held with the military.

“We will hit with an iron fist everywhere we can,” Dbeibah wrote on his Facebook page. He said that while the raids so far had been carried out by drones, the campaign’s second phase would aim to “arrest all wanted persons”, suggesting the future use of ground forces.

AFP

Subscribe to Urgent Notifications and Newsletter

Most Recent Stories from the Region

Algeria-France Trade Drops 23% with Import and Energy Curbs$

Trade between Algeria and France fell by roughly 23% in the year ending June 2026, dropping below €9 billion as import controls and political tensions reshape the relationship. Algeria’s tighter oversight of foreign purchases has sharply reduced French exports—particularly in food, automotive equipment, and industrial goods—while energy-driven exports to France also declined. The figures point to a broader shift as Algeria diversifies suppliers and reduces reliance on its former primary trading partner.

Morocco Faces Balancing Test Over Potential Gaza Security Role$

A reported plan for a Moroccan military outpost in Gaza is raising questions about Rabat’s regional strategy. While participation in a multinational stabilization force could be framed as humanitarian and security support, a visible troop presence inside an Israeli-controlled area risks political backlash at home and abroad. The proposal highlights the tension between Morocco’s ties to Israel and its longstanding positioning as a supporter of Palestinian interests.

Sudan’s Army Gains Ground in Kordofan as War Strains Power and Food Systems$

Sudan’s army is gaining ground in North Kordofan, securing key transport routes that could support a broader push west toward Darfur. But battlefield advances are unfolding alongside a deepening national crisis, with power grid failures, disrupted agriculture and local conflicts compounding the country’s instability. But this latest military momentum is unlikely to resolve Sudan’s widening humanitarian and infrastructure challenges.

Written by The North Africa Journal

The North Africa Journal is a leading English-language publication focused on North Africa. The Journal covers primarily the Maghreb region and expands its general coverage to the Sahel, Egypt, and beyond, when events in those regions affect the broader North Africa geography. The Journal does not have any affiliation with any institution and has been independent since its founding in 1996. Our position is to always bring our best analysis of events affecting the region, and remain as neutral as humanly possible. Our coverage is not limited to one single topic, but ranges from economic and political affairs, to security, defense, social and environmental issues. We rely on our full staff analysts and editors to bring you best-in-class analysis. We also work with sister company MEA Risk LLC, to leverage the presence on the ground of a solid network of contributors and experts. Information on MEA Risk can be found at www.MEA-Risk.com.